NYC itinerary

Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC itinerary

I'm going crazy trying to fit everything into our upcoming trip to NYC. The main thing that I want to do is see Broadways plays, so I've pencilled one into every opportunity. We may end up deleting one of them. My husband would like to see Seinfeld spots (Tom's Restaurant) and the Ed Sullivan Theater/Hello Deli. It would also be good to fit in some museums and local flavor. I don't care about nicer restaurants.

We have been to NYC before - most recently for several days in 2010. So I also don't need to see many of the landmarks since we've seen them before.

However, my tentative plans are too jam-packed and the timing doesn't seem to be working well. I may need to do major editing. Any comments?

Tuesday:
Arrive NYC around 5 PM. Travel Inn. Check in, change clothes, walk to Broadway area.
Go to TKTS for show for evening
If time permits, go to other theaters and use broadway box office coupons.
Otherwise, go directly to show.

Wednesday:
Walk to Broadway area to get tickets (what time do box offices open?)
Take subway to see Tom's restaurant. (Seinfeld)
American Museum of Natural History - highlights tours on the 15s.
Matinee play
Evening play

Thursday
Subway to lower Manhattan.
Dialog In the Dark S11 Fulton Street Th 10-7, F/S 10-9
Doughnut Plant 379 Grand St. (between Suffolk St & Norfolk St)
Tenement Museum - 108 Orchard 10-6
Il Laboratorio de Gelato 95 Orchard St (between Broome St & Delancey St)
Frick (open 10-5)
Hello Deli/outside of Ed Sullivan theater
evening play

Friday
Scott's Pizza tour - 11:30
Evening play

Saturday
Metropolitan Museum of Art (highlights 10:15, 10:45, 11:45)
Matinee
Start home

Would like to add - Eataly

Thursday seems to have time - but the tour timing doesn't really allow for much before or after.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 04:13 PM

I think it's doable - but you must really be Theater people.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 04:44 PM

Huh? Thursday has no tour and the Frick is out of the way of everything else you are doing.

On Tuesday visit St John the Divine right near Tom's Restaurant.

http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/expl...ul-winter.html

Skip Natural History

If you want real food to go with the desserts on the LES, go to the Meatball shop instead of Katz's
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Well, Tom, that many plays may be overkill - but it's easier and cheaper than making another trip to NYC. We may skip one of them - but there's a number of plays that I want to see.

Sue - I meant to say that the tour timing on FRIDAY (not Thursday) didn't seem to leave time for anything else. It starts at 11:30, so we wouldn't have time to go to a site beforehand and still allow travel time (so many things don't open until 10). And by the time it is over, it will almost be too late to go to something (if it closes at 5 for instance).

Thanks for the idea about St. John the Divine. It would make the trip up there more worthwhile to have something to do besides taking a photo of Tom's.

This afternoon, DH and I were discussing museums and decided that Natural History might be expendable. I don't know but guess that it would be similar to the Field Museum in Chicago which I've been to.

I wasn't sure where to put the Frick. I added it due to positive reviews here on the board. If I take out Natural History, we could put it after Tom's. They aren't exactly close - but we'd be working our way back south.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 05:05 PM

Not sure why you want to spend all that time waiting on line at TKTS and wandering from theater to theater. I f you go to broadwaybox.com you can get discount tickets in advance - avoid the wasted time and often get better choice of tickets.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 05:41 PM

I think you'll actually spend time at St John the Divine. I always expect to breeze through it with visitors but that rarely happens. You could stop at the Museum of Art and Design on your way back downtown OR if you are the theatre buff you say you are, I would stop in at the Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center. Say Hello to the Hirschfeld barber chair and.....
http://www.nypl.org/locations/tid/55/exhibitions
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

I printed off the coupons from broadway box office and was planning to go from theater to theater like you mentioned. I got the impression that this would save service charges - but maybe I should check on exactly how much. You are right that it would be time-consuming.

Thanks for the other ideas Sue - I'll read that article.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:17 PM

You should be able to go to all the ticket booths without wasting much time, but you may want to get tickets in advance for your 1st night.

Are you late night people or early morning people? Tom's Restaurant is open longhours, so you could even go up for an after theater snack --about 15-20 minutes subway ride from most theaters.

If for some reason you forgo Friday theater, both the Met and the Museum of Natural History are open late. Nice time to be there

What pizza tour takes so long? The Scott's website shows the long tour only on Sundays. Would you consider skipping that in order to fit on some of the other things you want to see?
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

We are more late night people than early morning people. Good idea on going there after a show. Although now that we know about St. John the Divine, we might want to still go during the day.

We were going to take the Greenwich Village pizza tour. It says 2 1/2 to 3 hours. If it starts at 11:30 and goes to 2:30, it would be 3 PM before we could get to another area. The Frick, Met, and Natural History close at 5, 5:30 and 5:45. It doesn't seem like enough time for any of them.

I debated a lot on the pizza tour. Last time, we came to NYC, we did the Real New York tour and it was a highlight for us. We don't really need to do that again, so I was debating among On Location and two other Greenwich Village food tours. I really couldn't decide until I noticed that Scott's was highly rated on tripadvisor and On Location was way day the list. The others were in the middle.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

We plan to walk from Travel Inn to the subway or to the theater district. I think google said it was about a 15 minute walk.

Does that sound reasonable and safe? (It's on 42nd not too far from the west side of Manhattan.)
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 07:28 PM

Walking sounds reasonable (my husband and I often walk from the Port Authority to and from Broadway shows in the upper 40's in the evening without problem).
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 08:06 AM

traveler2005, The Met stays open later on Fridays so you have plenty of time to see it before your evening show
(I was mistaken about the AMNH, they used to have evening hours, maybe it's just seasonal now)

http://metmuseum.org/visit/hours-and-admission
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 10:44 AM

The walk from Travel Inn is perfectly safe - just kind of long (The EW blocks are 3 times as long as the N/S blocks) and boring. If the theater is further uptown say in th elow 50's you might want to consider grabbing a cab. (There is a bus across 42 St - but it's very slow - walking is just as fast.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

I'm little iffy on getting the Tuesday night tickets in advance in case we have problems getting into NY at the time that I'm estimating.

I've revised my plans. We may see how things go day to day, but this is a starting point.

Tuesday:

Arrive NYC around 5 PM. Travel Inn. Check in, change clothes, walk to Broadway area.
Try for Book of Mormon (lottery at 4:30 /drawing at 5) and/or Go to TKTS for show for evening
If time permits, go to other theaters and use broadway box office coupons.
Otherwise, go directly to show.

Wednesday:

Walk to Broadway area to get tickets
Take subway to see Tom's restaurant. (Seinfeld)
The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine 1047 Amsterdam Avenue
Frick
Matinee play
Evening play

Thursday

Subway to lower Manhattan.
Dialog In the Dark S11 Fulton Street Th 10-7, F/S 10-9
Doughnut Plant 379 Grand St. (between Suffolk St & Norfolk St)
Tenement Museum - 108 Orchard 10-6
Il Laboratorio de Gelato 95 Orchard St (between Broome St & Delancey St)
Eataly
Hello Deli/outside of Ed Sullivan theater
evening play

Friday

Scott's Pizza tour - 11:30
Met Museum of Art ?
Evening play

Saturday

Metropolitan Museum of Art (highlights 10:15, 10:45, 11:45)
Or American Museum of Natural History
Matinee
Start home

Would like to add - Eataly
Omit: American Museum of Natural History - highlights tours on the 15s.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 04:39 PM

I'd rethink your Wednesday, you don't have the time to do all that when you realize how long it takes to take the subway or bus or even taxi.

Get your theatre tickets and then go to The Museum of Modern Art or another museum downtown, going uptown, across town, see the Frick, and then head to a matinee leaves you about 30 seconds to see any one thing and then back to the subway.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 04:49 PM

Agree that on Wednesday you will not have time to see the Frick. The box offices do not open that early. By the time you do that - get uptown - see Toms and the Cathedral you will just have time to get back to midtown and grab a quick bite before going to a matinee. You can do the Frick instead of heading all the way to the upper west side - but will not have time to do both if you insist on going to the box office for tickets. If you get tickets in advance - then you can get up very early, do a fast bkftst at Tom's, see the church and see the Frick before a quick lunch and a matinee.

But I seem to recall your saying you don;t want to do any 6 am starts.
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

LOL - I never said that I don't want to do any 6 am starts - but it is true.

I wonder if I could get the tickets and go to the Frick in the morning and then go to Tom's and the cathedral between the matinee and the evening show. Probably not.

Hmmm.