COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

NYC Itinerary - 1 Day

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

NYC Itinerary - 1 Day

Hello all. Here is another one day itinerary for me and my husband coming in Oct.
Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (should we do this in the morning or in the evening), Chinatown, SoHO/Little Italy, Lunch at Lombardi's, Greenwhich Village. Which order will I come into these from the BB? Thanks
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM

What?

Where are you coming from?

Sounds like a huge amount of walking - but what are you going to DO?

Are you assuming that everyone here has memorized the plans for your trip?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

No, I'm not assuming that. I am just asking if it is best to do the Brooklyn Bridge better at night or morning and the order in which you walk through the 3 districts/areas. I am staying at the Washington Jefferson, W51st St. between 8th & 9th.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:06 PM

When you come off the BB and you are walking right over the South St. Seaport, which will be to your left. Water St, will be the major street under the bridge and you can walk right up that to Chinatown, to Confusious Square and to your left will be Mott St, which is where most of the restaurants are. If you want great Dim Sum, continue up Mott 2 blocks and on your left is Mandarin Ct, best Dim Sum in the area.

After that walk the same direction N. to Canal St and turn left to Mulbery St which is the heart of Little Italy, lots of choices for desert and coffee there.

Continue up into SoHo and crossing Houston ST you are in the Village.

Enjoy your wanderings in the city.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 05:01 AM
E_M

Well, obviously, if you have just one day, you must rent the movie "On the Town" prior to your trip...

They'll tell you exactly what to do in Just One Day!
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Oh, we will be there for 5 nights, this is just one of the days I have planned.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 07:29 AM

This is one of the great walks of the world, but you left out Wall Street, Tribeca, Canal Street, and the Lower Eastside.

Suggestion: Get a good guidebook with maps of these neighborhoods and don't plan your day around having a meal at a specific place and time or around the time you will be walking on the Brooklyn Bridge.

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 08:57 AM

The best way to walk the bridge is FROM Brooklyn TO Manhattan so the views of the skyline are in front of you.

I don't agree with happytrails. You have to plan a day around something, might as well be meals. I would pick the areas on this list you're most interested in seeing and do that first in the morning, just in case you run out of steam later in the day. For me that would be Greenwich Village and/or Soho.

Then, take the subway from wherever you are over to Brooklyn. The closest subway stations to the bridge are either High st. on the A or C or Clark St. on the 2 or 3.

I do agree you need to start plotting this on a map. Either have a walk around the promenade in Brooklyn or go for pizza first Here's a good old post about walking the bridge and what to see on the way back.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34431839

Here's another
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34455618

There are many more.