Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need help from experts on downtown San Francisco "one-way & no left turn streets"

Need help from experts on downtown San Francisco "one-way & no left turn streets"

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going to Union Square Garage..from Bay Bridge I usually take 5th St. off ramp. and park in 5th & Mission garage and walk across Market. However, last time I "had" to go to Union Sq. Garage and after I got across Market St. encountered one-way and no left turn streets. Took me 1/2 hour to work my way to Post St. so I could get into the designated right lane to garage.
There must be an easier way.
Help..!!!!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Hi traveler. When you take the 5th St.off ramp after crossing the Bay Bridge. turn right onto 5th St.

Cross Market. Drive a full block and turn left on Ellis St. Get in the right hand land and go three blocks. Turn right on Taylor St. Go up three blocks and turn right on Post St. Go three blocks on Post, get in the far right lane. Turn right on Stockton.
Go one block on Stockton, turn right on Geary St. (Macy's will be across the street on your left). You will see the entrance to the Union Sq. Garage on your right, half way down the block on Geary after turning right from Stockton. At least that is what has always worked the best for me all these years. Best wishes.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM

I agree with loveitaly on this being the best way to get to Union Square parking from 5th Street. The entrance is on Geary, so you have to be headed the right way on Geary.

Another maybe shorter way is to get to 3rd Street BEFORE you reach Market.

When 3rd Street crosses Market, it splits. The LEFT branch is Geary (and you will be headed in the right direction!) and the right branch is Kearney. So when you are on 3rd, stay as much to the left as possible in order to turn left when you cross Market.

Good luck!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 02:26 PM

The previous poster is correct about using 3d St. However, it may be a little confusing: When 3d St. meets Market, there are actually four options (1) turn left - 90 degrees - onto Market St. westbound, (2) turn right - 90 degrees - onto Market St. eastbound, (3) slight jog to the right (about 10 degrees from straight ahead) which becomes Kearney St, and (4) actually cross Market St., but take a left (about 80 degrees) IMMEDIATELY AFTER crossing Market st. This is Geary Blvd., and it will take you to Union Square garage in a few blocks (you will cross Grant st. and Stockton St).

Leaving the USG, go around Union Square until you are on Stockton heading south. COntinue across Market St (Stockton becomes 4th St) and then follow the signs for Bay Bridge.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you--
directions are very clear, even the "options' at 3rd St.
thanks again...
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 12:34 PM

To simplify zorrosf's very detailed and correct directions, take 3rd street and stay in the left lane. Cross Market Street (3rd street becomes Kearney after you cross Market) and take the first possible left AFTER crossing Market Street (ab. 1/2 block). This will be Geary Street. Follow a few blocks to Union Square.