Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC--Inherit the Wind and Curtains--need some info

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I will be in NYC for 3 nights at the end of March. We're intertested in seeing Inherit the Wind, which will be in previews. We've never seen a show in the "previews" stage before so I'm just curious as to what the main differences are between this and the regular shows. Also, do you think there will be a chance for discounted tickets (I can't find any on broadwaybox.com right now) or not? I'm also somewhat intersted in Curtains but don't know much about it at all. I know David Hyde Pierce is in it and I really like him. Previous shows we've seen and enjoyed include Hairspray, Wicked, Spamalot, Raisin in the Sun, Les Mes, Phantom, Smokey Joes Cafe, to name a few so we like various types of shows. Just any information you can offer would be appreciated--even an opinion of how the shows might be. This is our first get-away together after having a baby, so we want to enjoy our time together and see something we'll both like. Thanks!
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 11:03 AM

Lee4, the box office for Inherit the Wind doesn't open for another week or two. I'd be surprised if there are not discounts for it some after that-- although I've been wrong with those predictions before.

Meanwhile, we saw Curtains with David Hyde Pierce in LA this summer. I thought it was great fun -- like Drowsy Chaperone, a sort of spoof of musical theatre. The idea is that it is an out of town tryout of a new Broadway musical in the 1950's and the star is murdered on stage. David Hyde Pierce plays the detective on the case, but he is a nut for musical theatre and spends more time telling them how they should fix the show, rather than worry about solving the murder. There is a funny number where the producers of the show sing about how awful and stupid critics are, then the favorable reviews come out, and the next verse is all about what brilliant people critics are. Very clever and funny. And the running gag is that there is one number in the show which just doesn't work, so DHP keeps telling them how they could fix it. We then see that number presented as he suggests -- each time in a different style. By the end of the show that number is the biggest production number ever done -- it seems. Again, very clever.
You'll like it.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 11:07 AM

and here's a thread on previews
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34935484
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replys. Patrick, I was really hoping to hear from you b/c you are an expert! I've got to talk my husband into Curtains, I think! It sounds like a lot of fun. I didn't realize the tickets aren't on sale yet for ITW, so I'll wait a bit and check for discounts again.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Curtains looks like it's going to be fun: http://www.curtainsthemusical.com/