NYC In August - Hotel/ B&B/ Apt. Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother and I are taking my mom to NYC for her 60th birthday from August 12th (Thursday) through 16th (Monday). We are open to staying at a hotel, a B&B or an apartment, and ideally we would like to spend $200 or less per night. We plan to go to plays and museums but would like to avoid staying in Times Square. Thank you for your recommendations!
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Short term apartment rentals are generally illegal

How many rooms and/or beds do you need?
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Start by taking a look at www.quikbook.com and see what is available in your price range - which is fine for August you should have no problems booking something nice. As it get closer to your trip you might find a good deal on travelzoo.com

Although it's early to bid, Priceline may be an option for a room for 2 people. Go to www.betterbidding.com post your budget, dates, and the areas you want to stay in and they will help you with a bidding strategy.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 01:13 PM

Under $200/night for a comfortable room for 3 people with 3 beds, even at that low season, will be a challenge for something nice. You can get a studio suite with 2 twin beds and a rollaway at the milburnhotel.com on the upper west side for $189/night plus tax. Nice area and decent hotel.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 02:29 PM

There are more and more B & B's but NYC is traditionally a hotel city.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 03:27 PM

try one of the Affinia hotels--I'm staying at Affinia 50 for less sthan $200/night. There are kitchenettes in the rooms there, if you want more of a "suite" than just a basic hotel room.

Buckingham Hotel on 57th (grat location) also has suites, and you can find good deals on quikbook or lastminute.com for it.

I love the location of the New York Helmsley, by Grand Central Station. You can find rooms there for less than $150/night on Hotwire. (3.5 stars, Midtwon East--confirm on Betterbiddig.com) Request TWO beds. But do you all want to sleep in the same room?
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 05:10 PM

Agree that a room for 3 for $200 a night can be a challenge - but August can have some good rates since so many locals are on vacation and business travel tends to be down. I would search now to see if you can find any online special if you pay in advance. the upper west side is a good area if you want to have easy access to Times Square but avoid the frantic atmosphere.

Have a look at the Beacon, the Newton - to see if they have anything for your rates/dates.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 07:32 AM

Look at The Hotel at Times Square (www.applecorehotels.com). Don't fret, it's really not IN Times Square--it's on 46th between 5th and 6th. Close enough to walk to the happening areas without tons of traffic. We spent 3 nights there last weekend and paid $159 for a king room! It's been updated within the last few years, the beds are very comfortable and the AC works great (necessary in August in NYC). Use your mom's AARP card for a discount and ask for one of the "6" rooms (506, 606, etc.). They're accessible and HUGE with plenty of room for two beds or a cot. Huge walk-in shower, but no tub. It's a two-block walk to Rockefeller Center and lots of shopping. 5 blocks to the MOMA.

The little italian restaurant Via Italia right next door is wonderful and inexpensive by NY standards.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:30 AM

You need to understand that prices in August - alth0ugh not full high season - won;t be like those in March. That's the reason to start to look now - and lock in a good price if you find one.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!