Search

NYC HOTEL W/ PET

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC HOTEL W/ PET

I need to find a reasonably-priced hotel in Manhattan or even in NJ (just outside of NYC) that will allow large dogs.

Thanks.
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Is this a guide dog? If not - I think you will have trouble - not only finding a hotel in Manhattan that will allow a large dog (quqite a few will take porta-dogs) - but figuring out what to do with it once you're there. Just leaving it in the room all day hardly seems fair - and there are few places in the city it will be allowed.

Old May 16th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Check out the Westin.

All LaQuintas do, but I don't know the closest to Manhattan.

You may have to kennel it while you are in the area.
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

we might kennell her, but we kinda wanted to take her to central park.
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:42 AM

I don't know one personally, but you might find this site useful as a list to work from.

http://www.petfriendlyhotelsandtravel.com/html/nyc.html
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:50 AM

I did a search on starwoodhotels.com for pets allowed and got 29 results - the first page are hotels in the city. The lowest rate for the dates I entered was the W New York (on Lexington) for $179. The hotel web page said there were restrictions - so you'd have to call the hotel(s) directly to check their policies.

Do consider taking your dog into the city, but kenneling or day boarding. You'd have more hotel options, you play with the dog in Central Park, but he/she would be safe and secure while you are out in the city that never sleeps.

I agree that your dog won't enjoy spending hours in the room while you are out sight-seeing. Consider mixing a kennel in the city with a hotel room for you.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:19 AM

Loews has a very permissive pet policy.

Still, I can't think of anything worse than having to organize a trip around the needs of a giant dog.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:56 AM

In addition to the dog not liking it, most hotels will not allow you to leave your dog in the hotel room unattended. So, unless you find one that does, you'll have to either sit in the room with the dog or only go places it is allowed.

Will your dog know the difference between Central Park and the parks you have at home? Mine wouldn't care . . .
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:10 AM

There are several places in the city that provide doggie day care - not a walker but a real day care facillity with toys, beds, playing with other dogs etc. Don;t know the costs - but I'm sure you could find them if you google.

That way you could take the dog to Central Park - or one of the the other doggie playgrounds - when you want and put him in day care otherwise.

But I think the hours may be limited - so you might have problems with dinner/evening shows etc.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

well, she's not giant - a mere 42 pounds is small for a husky...and she's home alone for 8 hours a day all the time, so i'm sure she'd be fine in a hotel room for awhile. sheesh.

Old May 17th, 2005, 12:30 PM

Actually, not necessarily. As I mentioned above, it is against policy in most hotels to leave a dog alone in the room.

Besides that, the hotel room is a foreign place to her. Being home alone is completely different from being alone in a strange place. In addition to potentially freaking your dog out, if hotel management finds out what would they do? Kick you out? Open the door and remove the dog if it's barking loudly and bothering other guests?

You really can't predict how your dog would do if you did decide to break the rules and leave it alone. Unless you can keep it with you all day (which you can do, but it would limit your options), I just don't see how this is feasible, unless you take advantage of pricey doggie daycare as mentioned above.

People aren't posting this stuff here just to get on your nerves. You clearly haven't considered all the angles, and people just want both you and the dog to be safe and comfortable.

If you do decide to ignore all the good advice, I hope you have a great trip anyway.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:33 PM

While some hotels may "allow dogs," those same hotels may not allow you to leave dogs in your room unattended.

Imagine what might happen if a stranger (cleaning crew) arrived to clean a room with a dog in it . . . Some dogs would not welcome a stranger when in already unfamiliar surroundings.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:09 PM

We've stayed in Starwood hotels with our dog (about 30 pounds) without a problem. Is your dog crate trained by any chance? If so, then there is no problem leaving him/her alone in the room for short periods of time - just have him/her go into the crate. We've done that and had no issues at all once we got past the first night and our dog settled in.
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Just because one dog has no problem, doesn't mean that's true of all of them. And that also doesn't mean the hotel will be OK with it, or that your dog won't bark incessantly while you're gone . . .
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:09 PM

I don't have a dog anymore, and never travelled with her when we did so I don't know from a personal viewpoint. But about a few weeks ago there was an article in the SF Chronical about this very subject. And in the article I remember they said "pet friendly" hotels have a limit of about 70 pounds for a dog. They also said that all "pet friendly" hotels will not allow a pet to be left alone in the hotel room. For reasons stated here. Maid service comes in to clean. Pet either gets aggresive or escapes room. Some pets bark, growl, meow etc. and of course other hotel guest complain.

To keep your pet safe bondgirl, when you find a "pet friendly" hotel you need to verify with them what the hotel requirement and restrictions are so that you dear pet is safe and secure. Best wishes.
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Okay, I have several things to say that I didn't have time to say earlier in the day. I agree with jim - we aren't trying to get on your nerves, but just giving you input.

I started traveling with my dog last year when circumstances changed and I was gone on business from M - F, and didn't want to leave her at home.

EVERY hotel has different policies. Even La Quinta. LaQ went to a nationwide "pet friendly" policy last year, but individual hotels can determine what that means. Believe me, I've had to sort this out every week of the year last year.

Some hotels allow you to leave dogs in the room. Some required crates. If the dog is left in the room, you must put the "do not disturb" sign on the door so housekeeping does not come in the room. Some hotels allow dogs as long as you are with them, but do not allow them in the room without you. You WILL be kicked out if you leave the dog in the room and he disturbs other guests.

I stay at a B&B that allowed dogs in certain rooms but required me to leave my cell #. My dog had traveled with me on a weekly basis for months (staying mostly in LaQ rooms during the day) with NO problems. 30 minutes later I had a phone call. She had been digging at the door. The innkeeper was very nice - and was in fact walking her in the park when I returned, but she could not stay in the room alone anymore. I was there making sales calls, so I had to put her in doggie day care during the day for the rest of my stay. No problem. Just make sure you have copies of the dogs record and you may have to have a 6 month refresher on the bordatella (not sure if I spelled that right - kennel cough).

I LOVE traveling with my dog, expect she will be fine in the hotel room alone, but have always scouted out a nearby vet that will day-board her. In NYC they have those fancy-schmansy "real" doggie day cares.

Now, regarding NYC. I helped a friend move to NYC and I was the one that helped the suburban dog get used to the city. This was a very adaptable, happy, mid-size dog. The dog freaked. Absolutely freaked for two days. The noise. The traffic. All the smells. All the people on the sidewalk. Totally freaked. I felt sorry for the poor thing.

I walked seven blocks so she could "do Central Park". I had an idyllic image in my mind. Central Park is a park...but not like any park she had ever been to. She definitely did not enjoy it that week. I would guess it would be because of "too much". Too much noise. Too many smells. Too many dogs. No frolicing in the dog section of the park. More like, wrapping her leash around my legs.

When she was passed by her first dog-walker, she about had a heart attack!

Fast forward 6 months and this dog was a true city dog. Open the kitchen drawer for the baggies and she's ready to go and now will pee and poop on the sidewalk like a true city dog. On the days she got to go to a park she frolicked with her friends.

But, it took time. I'm sure your dog is a very adaptable, happy, well-adjusted pup too. But, NYC is waayyy different from anything my doggy friend had ever experienced and she was not happy the first week. Traumatized was more like it.
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Many of the Westminster dogs stay at the Hotel Pennsylvania across the street from Madison Sq Garden. It is, quite possibly, the grossest hotel in the whole world, but heh, if you're desperate...
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:43 AM

Here's what their web site says about pets:

Year-round Pet Friendly Accommodations Available!

We know what it is like to travel, feeling that you have to leave a loved one at home...especially when that loved one is the family pet. When you stay at New York's Hotel Pennsylvania, you can rest at ease knowing that your household pets are as welcome as you are!

Our hotel is no stranger to hosting pets: we are the host hotel for the annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, considered by many to be one of the most prestigious sporting events in the world. During the Westminster Show, we are the home to some of the most prized dogs in the world. We pamper and cater to them like no other hotel.

What you may not know is that we are pet friendly year-round. After all, we are The World's Most Popular, or rather 'Pup'-ular Hotel. Let us cater to you and your VIP's (Very Important Pooches)!

Our Pet Friendly package provides a comfortable guestroom for you and your dog. Our Shopper's Special coupons are also included at no extra cost when you reserve online.

In addition to regular room rates per night for single and double occupancy, there is a $25.00 cleaning charge added for your dog or dogs (Sorry, no more than two dogs per room please). And there is no weight restriction on dogs - we love them all!

We also accept domestic cats. For guidelines and limitations on cats and other animals, please contact the Hotel directly at 1-800-223-8585.

Pet friendly accommodations are available year-round. Rates are in U.S. funds, and are subject to change and availability. Taxes extra. No minimum or maximum stay required. This package is not applicable during the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.

We suggest you book early to avoid disappointment. Rates vary by time of year, so check out availability on-line now!

To book, go to our reservations page and check under the Promotional Rates section, or call us directly at 1-800-223-8585.

DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU ABOUT THE PLACE THOUGH!!!
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:11 AM

It may be dog friendly - but I would no more sleep there myself than I would in a kennel.

I'm sure there are hotels in NYC that will accomodate a well-behaved medium size dog - you just need to be sure you understand all the specific rules before you go. I would definitely speak directly to the front desk and not rely on web site info.
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the maids come to clean -- but you can always call the front desk and tell them you don't want your room cleaned.

Our dog is create trained, and way under 70 lbs.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I got all the info I needed.