Search

NYC hotel near Broadway and 7th

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC hotel near Broadway and 7th

Hello all --

I will accompany my daughter to a dance workshop at this address. The recommended hotel (Park Central) has mostly negative feedback on Tripadvisor, so I'm looking for a few more options.

Requirements would be that it is reasonable walking distance within the area; clean, and courteous staff. Two beds.

Price isn't as much of a factor -- we certainly can't afford the Waldorf, but it's my dd's 1st trip to NYC and I don't want the experience ruined by a shabby hotel room.

thanks in advance!

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:27 AM

The Park Central Hotel is listed as being at 7th and 56th. We've always enjoyed the Salisbury, on 57th between 6th and 7th - it's not far from the Park Central, if that location is what you need, and it seems to fit your requirements.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Brookside, "Broadway and 7th" intersect at 44th Street, Times Square. If you'd like to be near that intersection, there are many options in the Times Square area.

(Neither the Park Central nor Salisbury are particularly convenient to Times Square, particularly in comparison to the many options.)

Enjoy!

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

I guess I'm comfused -- the address of the *workshop* is 221 W. 57th. I'm clueless about NYC -- but I thought Times Square was more around 45-47th Sts. -- ???
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Broadway and 7th Avenue intersect at Times Square (~45th St), so that's why everyone thought you were referring to Times Square.

221 W 57th is located BETWEEN 7th Avenue and Broadway, which are both north-south routes.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Times Square runs from 42nd to 47th Streets.
Thus, your daughter's dance workshop is ten blocks from the northern tip, or a half mile.
The Park Central is a little over a blcok from the workshop address.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification.

I really don't want to stay at the Park Central. Is my best bet to stay elsewhere and hope I can get a cab each morning?

And do you have recommendations? Again, price is not a real consideration -- target is under $300.00.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 09:40 AM

A group of women I've travelled with have always stayed at the Salisbury Hotel (as mentioned by someone previously) I think the address is 121 West 57th Street. It is between 6th Ave (I think that was once known as Avenue of the Americas) & 7th Ave. I know we've walked to Broadway Theatres (safely, at night), & to Times Sq from the hotel, with no problems. Carnegie Hall is at the end of the block (toward the west, I think), & Central Park is only a couple blocks to the North. (& 5th Ave is close by with Tiffany's, Trump Tower, etc all within a couple blocks). We love the Salisbury for it's great location. We've stayed there 4 times. It's an older hotel, but, it suits our needs. The 4 of us usually get a suite (consists of a nice sitting area, w/sofa, TV 2 chairs, & a small sink, fridge, & microwave, in the separate dining area, w/dining room table. The bedroom has 2 queen beds, 1 bathroom, lots of closet space. (Probably more than you need, but it is a great location). (I thought they had a web site, I can't seem to find it now, if I do, I'll post here again. )And, we've usually done a LOT of walking, but, it didn't bother us. We've walked from the hotel to Empire State Bldg, & the Macy's flagship store.
We love NEW YORK! Have fun.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Brookside,

As you've not been to New York, then you don't have a sense of how close/far other hotels are to your workshop. If you wish to avoid the Park Central, then you can easily find another choice within walking distance.

From my own experience, I've stayed at the Sheraton Hotel & Towers, at 811 Seventh Ave (corner of 7th Ave & 53rd Sts.) --- a short walk from the workshop locale. Big caveat .... I'd rate the Sheraton as "just okay"; frankly my choice was driven by price. Went thru Priceline and got this Sheraton for $85 (plus taxes). I did see somewhere that this hotel underwent renovations, so maybe it's better than when I stayed there (Aug-2002). To confuse matters, there is ANOTHER Sheraton located catty-corner to this one. Sheraton Manhattan is on 7th Ave @ 51st. Don't know how it compares to the Hotel & Towers.

If I were in your shoes & with your budget, then I'd look into The Michelangelo (also within easy walking distance) or The Benjamin (not quite as close, however gets excellent reviews on Trip Advisor).
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 09:59 AM

check out more info on Salisbury Hotel on www.expedia.com, have fun!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

My tastes probably run more to the Michelangelo or the Benjamin, so I guess another question I should ask is: how hard is it to get a cab in NYC in the mornings? I'm a little spoiled with hotel stays in Chicago, for exg. The doormen at most major hotels there can get one a taxi anytime -- can I expect the same in NYC? (Forgive me if that seems a strange ?, but I've never been there.)
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Just visited the Michelangelo web site -- each room has only 1 bed, so not an option. Would welcome other sugestions!

BTW -- thanks to everyone who responded!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:40 AM

i really enjoyed my stay at the super 8 hotel times square- just recommended it on another post as well check it out: www.applecorehotels.com- rates are really cheap too!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Hi Brookside,
You might consider the Le Parker Meridien, which is located on 57th -- there's also an entrance on 56th, actually -- between 6th & 7th Avenues, a block away from your daughter's dance workshop. I myself live a few avenues over and use the gym/pool there... have never stayed in the rooms, of course, but it's a lovely hotel and gets quite good reviews. The website only shows rooms with one bed, but might be worth investigating; perhaps they have ones with two. Good luck and hope you and your daughter have a great trip to NYC!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Amyable -- just ckd their web site and they do have double rooms -- great suggestion - thanks!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 12:09 PM

Oh, nice! I hope that works out for you. But, as Tess_Durberville mentioned, there's certainly no shortage of hotels in that area, so I don't think it will be a problem finding a suitable one.

One other thing about Le Parker Meridien I forgot to mention: whether or not you stay there, there's a really neat restaurant inside called "burger joint" that's got amazing burgers and fries. It's literally hidden away behind some curtains in the lobby... almost like a hole-in-the-wall type of place... just about the last thing you'd expect from that kind of hotel! Also have heard great things about the brunch at Norma's.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, amy -- it sounds great!

Care to name a few more -- in case I need back-up? I'm superstitious that way!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Just to clarigy for those searcing for hotel sin NYC the main streets (called avenues) run north and south (more or less - Broadway runs at an angle). So the area you are looking for is near Broadway or 7th avenue - which deosn;t indicated a cross street - and so could cover a several mile area. By adding the park Centrla you indicate an area not far from 57th street (streets runs east and west).

As for 6th Avenue - it has been called Avenue of the Americas officially since 1932 (in order of the Pan American Organization founded then?) - but New Yorkers never gave in to this - continuing to call it 6th Avenue to the mass confusion of tourists. The city goverment finally gave in - and it is now called 6th avenue of the americas. This is on street signs and written addresses. Verbally - NYCers still just call it 6th avenue.