NYC Hotel: Metro or Lucerne

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm off to NYC on May 24 for my first visit. I will be travelling solo and want the best, comfortable, mid-priced hotel (no more than $250) to lay my weary head at night. Location is very important also. Two that are highly recommnded are the Hotel Metro (34st. just north of the Empire State Bldg) and the Lucerne (upper westside location).
I can get the Metro for $240 and the Lucerne for $260. A woman I work with highly recommends the Lucerne for it's more laid back location and said the rooms in the Metro were tiny plus in a more hectic location.

Can anybody who has stayed at one these hotels help me decide on the truly 'better' of the two?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:57 AM

I live in Manhattan so I haven't stayed in either hotel, but I can comment on location.

The Hotel Metro is central, but in an area that I would describe as very undesirable (not because it's unsafe, just because it doesn't have much to offer, particularly after work hours). HOWEVER, from that location you can get anywhere in Manhattan quickly -- uptown, downtown, midtown -- and you can walk to many places like MoMA, Rockefeller Center, etc.

The Lucerne is in a residential area, a great uptown neighborhood where New Yorkers actually live. The drawback is that you'll have to travel via cab/bus/subway to just about every tourist attraction.

Bottom line: It all depends on what you are looking for and what you plan to see & do during your visit.

Enjoy NYC!
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:06 AM

I have stayed in both hotels. the metro is a nice hotel but is not close to anything except macys. it is not really within walking distance to rock center other attractions,at night the area looks unfriendly wether this is true or not? there are not many restaurants convient. the lucerne is at 79th street by a subway and bus stops. there are many good restaurants nearby. it is close to museum of natural history and a cross town bus to the metropolitian museum of art.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Just to clarify, the Metro is less than a mile from Rock Center and MoMA. Whether or not this is "walking distance" is a matter of opinion, I guess.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:15 AM

My daughter and I stayed at the Metro in late March. We were very im pressed with its location- perfect for walking up-town, or taking the subway downtown, walking to Hells Kitchen, or eating at a wonderful little Korean restaurant right down the street from the hotel. Times square is a 10 minute walk away. The room (a double double) was very spacious. All immaculately clean. The continental breakfast served just off the main lobby was excekkent, and the ciffee abd tea pot are on no matter what time you come in. The roof deck view of the Empire State bldg is quite amazing. And the Metro Grill, attached to the hotel was quite good, the night we had dinner there.
Employees very helpful, and we were allowed to check in early, so able to savor every minute in the city!
We intend to stay there again next spring.The area is not hectic at all.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Grab the Lucerne - much nicer hotel and much better neighborhood. It's mid/upscale residential with tons of great inexpensive restaurants nearby. There are two subway lines - so convenient to everything and you can walk to Central Park and the Museum of Natural History in 5 minutes and across the Park to the Met, Guggenheim and a bunch of other museums in about 15.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Of those 2 choices I'd definitely pick the Lucerne.

But looking on quikbook, I see the Envoy Club for $209 for a studio apartment with kitchen, the Shelburne Murray Hill for $239 also for a studio apt. with kitchen or the Essex House, glamorous location on Central Park South for $238. For just a bit more than that you can have a park view! (Btw, the Metro is $230 on quikbook).

I love the upper westside, but assuming you'll be doing theater at night, I'd rather be midtown and pay less. If you want to save some money, I'd go with the Envoy Club. Otherwise, the Essex House is still cheaper and a much more central location with lots of good eating nearby and within a walk to the theater.
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!
I called the Lucerne yesterday and was able to reserve 4 nights at $230/night ($10 less than the Metro) and feel this is the right place for me. I love staying in 'real' neighborhoods where the locals live so will give this a try. I will try to gander on down to the Metro and have a peek when I visit the ESB.
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:44 AM

Good choice.

Especially if you want to experience real NYC neighboorhood and not have to deal with the touristy tackyness at Times Square.
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Good choice!

I've stayed twice at the Lucerne in the last 2 months and really like it. You are about a 30 second walk to the metro and there are lots of terriffic places to eat in the surrounding blocks, especially on Amsterdam.

The attached restaurant, Nice-Matin, has great lunch and breakfast, Sarabeths is in the next block, the museum of Natural history is 2 blocks away. We also tried the Excelsior hotel in the same neighborhood, which was similar, but IMO not quite as nice.
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Good choice!! I'd take the UWS over 34th street any day.