Search

NYC for Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC for Christmas

This will be my first time in NY. Looking to stay in a suite (have two kids) that is centrally located and reasonably priced. Possible? Also, since I don't know my way around the city - how about tours or guides or something?
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Look here first:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr..._york_city@111

Look at the above website including the "hotel overview" section - it answers a lot of your questions. Click on "Midtown West" for the most central hotels although since this is last second (most NYC hotels are already booked for Christmas dates) you'll probably need to look at all areas. Get a suite ASAP!

I would walk the city yourself to see most of it - look at the walking tours in website above from Fodor's.

You may want to take a boat ride for great views of the skyline. I suggest either the 90 minute or 2 hour harbor tour by NY Waterways. They provide free bus service from various points. Here's their websight:
http://www.nywaterway.com/sightsee_fullday.html
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Texgal, I'd get those hotel reservations nailed down tout suite!

Check out the NYC tourism site for first time visitors - it has lots of good info:
http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=1150

Good Luck!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Toping in case mclaurie or nytraveler are still around and have anything to add.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 05:59 PM

We found the Millenium in the financial district, WTC area, to be very nice, very comfortable, great views and resonably priced (and they have suites) on weekends and holidays. Subway right out the door to midtown. Hilton.com website shows good rates for Christmas. Quieter area, but that might be a plus, Close to Statute of Liberty and Ellis Island.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Gosh, but, if you can, you had better book accomodations forthwith! It's likely way too late for "reasonably priced" for this Christmas, or even if you can find accommodations at any price now for your dates.

The web resources for getting around are sensational, or you could just learn to take taxis (a skill and art during the holidays) which would be more economidal that tours or guides.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:54 AM

Prices have just been crazy for this holiday season and Europeans are flooding the city with the great exchange rate for them. The Salisbury is a very centrally located hotel with decent prices and has both 1 and 2 bedroom suites but their website shows them to be totally booked from the 27th - Jan 1. Here are names of some other all suite hotels to check. You should check tripadvisor for any of these you're considering.

midtown

Affinia.com is a group of all suite hotels. All are reasonably central and get good reviews on tripadvisor.

Murray Hill East Suites
Radio City Apartments
The Blakely
the Buckingham
the Lombardy
the San Carlos
the Kimberly
Best Western Hospitality
Doubletree Suites Times Square (pricey)
Marriott Rihga Royal (pricey)

upper westside (not as central but very family friendly)

the Beacon
the Milburn
the Belleclaire
the Lucerne and the Excelsior are not all suite but do have some suites.

downtown, the Embassy Suites is probably the best budget option in NYC and family friendly with in house movies but it's near Wall St., not the best location for a Xmas trip imo.

If you're willing to give up hotel amenities like daily maid service, here are some websites with apartment rentals.

http://www.apartments2book.com/ (this co. has some apt/hotels including some in the list above plus some "regular" apts. Their prices on the apt/hotels are often better than direct from the hotel)

citylightsnewyork.com
This co. has apts. throughtout the city, but have heard they've been renting some in the new highrise, 1 River Place, at 42 st & 12th ave. (at the Hudson River) with nice views.

nyhabitat.com
used by many Fodorites for apts.

Here's a guide from NY Magazine from last year for holiday events

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/urban/gu...sandscenes.htm

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Can only reiterate that you have to do this TODAY. Mclaurie gave a very full list - but DO NOT expect any baargains. Some friends of mine just booked the week before Christmas - took them forever and they're paying almost $500 a night for a place I wouldn't leave my cat.

Try downtown or upper west side for a chance of a place with rooms left.

Final option - if you're truly desperate - sometimes the tours don;t fill and the operators free up rooms at the last minute. You are most likely to get these rooms at the biggest hotels (Hilton, Grand Hyatt, Sheraton) but their rooms mostly take only 2 folks.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:00 AM

We (six adults) stayed at the Best Western Hospitality House this past weekend. We were overly pleased with the accomodations - a two bedroom suite with sofabed, kitchen, eating area and living room. The location was ideal since it was centrally located, near a subway line and only a few blocks from numerous major attractions. With my AAA membership we paid around $350 a night (Turs. - Mon.) I highly recommend this hotel! Good luck with your searches.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Discounted prices at Rihga Royal for certain dates. Look here

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/214639
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'm feeling very overwhelmed! I think I might need someone to hold my hand while we are in NY...Looks like Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square might be an option. I'll have to run it by hubby.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Texgal,

I JUST stayed at the Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square about 2-3 weeks ago. And as I was there I thought hey, this would be great for kids. (I have two of them.) One room had a sitting area with a pullout couch, nice little table, full sink area/vanity with mini fridge. The other room had a king size bed. Both rooms had separate access to bath. Nice hotel, I thought. We crammed 4 adults into one room. I think we paid $450/night or maybe more.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Check out the Shelburne Murray Hill and other Affinia hotels (www.affinia.com). We had several families in town about 1 1/2 ago that stayed there. The one bedrooms suite were very roomy and have a full kitchen. The bedroom has 1 king or 2 queens, and the living room has a sofa bed. The location is central and convenient to public transportation.
There's also an Embassy Suites downtown, near the Hudson River Park. It's a perfectly nice and safe area, but not as convenient as some.

Honestly, I don't think there are 'reasonably priced' hotels in NYC anymore and I doubt there will be bargains during the holiday season.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 10:36 AM

I just checked the affinia website. The have a special holiday rate. You can get 1 bedroom suite at the Shelburne with 1 king and a sofa bed for $269, for 2 queens and a sofa bed it's $289. These seems like pretty good prices compared to what else is available. I have seen both these suites and the ones at teh doubletree time square. The Shelburne suite is quite a bit roomier can comfortable for a family of 4.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:09 AM

want to reiterate affinia.com; tbese are great hotels with some good holiday pricing. I just booked a one bedroom suite at Affinia Manhattan for $199 under their special holiday rate for the week between Christmas and New Year's; we stayed at another affinia property same time last year and had a great room with a full kitchen.

New York is great at Christmas, but very crowded so prepare yourself for that.

Good luck

Mary in D.C.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 08:59 PM

I stayed at the Hilton Millenium, right in front of the WTC just weeks before 911. Looking from the news, I thought that hotel was gone. But I guess it has been rebuilt. The hotel was very pleasant, efficient, comfortable. I forgot how much we paid for it, but I am sure it was worth it.

Andrew
http://www.PriceComparison.com