NYC Romantic Hotel for Christmas Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to surprise my hubby and take him to NYC when the Christmas decorations are out. How early does this happen?

Would also like to find a "moderate" but nice hotel to stay - @$250 - $300 - suggestions have been:
The Essex
The Library
The Wales
The Surrey
Box Tree Inn

Plan on doing the usual - Rockefeller Center, shopping, central park carriage ride...
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 05:16 PM

I'd suggest the Palace as a wonderful hotel and it should be in your price range. The decorations there and in the courtyard are really beautifull. It's also very handy to shoping and all the NYC things you probably want to visit.

Have a GREAT time.

Oh and decorations start to go up just after Halloween and are in full swing Thanksgiving week.

Enjoy the holidays.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

We've narrowed the hotels down to:

1) The Library
2) The Benjamin
3) The Lombardy

If anyone can comment on personal experience staying at any of these, would appreciate it.

Also, for those of you who live in/know NYC, please comment on location - is it appropriate for what we are looking for?
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:42 PM

my husband and I spent last Christmas at the Benjamin. Hotel was great. Close enough to walk to most sites, shopping, etc.(as long as you don't mind walking)
The area is rather low keyed at night so finding a cab is no problem. Next door is a good little diner for breakfast.You will have a wonderful time!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

My husband found one more hotel - The Elysee.

Anyone know anything about it?
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 03:21 PM

My husband and I stayed there last January. The hotel is small, but very nice. Rooms nicely furnished, terrific terry cloth robes, somewhat unreliable elevator - but the stairs were just fine. The Monkey Bar is downstairs. Would definitely stay there again. Can be pricey tho - timing seems to be everything. We wanted to stay there again two weeks ago and rooms were too expensive. Wound up at the Hotel Iroquois instead.

Good luck.

Kat1
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 06:17 AM

Interesting hotel choices, wanderer. I haven't seen the Lombardy ever mentioned here. I used to live near there (and the Elysee) years ago. The Lombardy used to be (and may still be) a residential hotel, meaning people actually lived there. Tallulah Bankhead used to live at the Elysee once upon a time. All the hotels you're considering are in decent walking distance to shopping & not terribly touristy areas (a good thing I think). I can't comment on rooms/amenities. The Library is in the 40's & the rest are in the 50's. I personally prefer the 50's but people like the Library (although some rooms are evidently very small.) The Benjamin is the place that has the sleep concierge & a pillow menu. Have you tried looking at reviews on tripadvisor?

If you're interested in some place different you might look at the Inn on Irving Place. It's not midtown but in a beautiful residential area. The hotel is actually in 2 brownstones (4 story buildings) with no elevator though. Read a review here.

http://www.slowtrav.com/usa/hotels/h...Y:%20Manhattan

For best Xmas decorations, wait til after Thanksgiving (but prices may be higher)