Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Want to get a gift certificate to a Great Restuarant in Williamsburg

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to purchase a gift-certificate as a Christmas Gift for a young, newly married couple who live in Williamsburg. I'm not exactly sure where in Williamsburg, but the husband is going to law school, so they must live close to where the campus is.

I'm looking for high-end, romantic, wonderful food.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 05:39 PM

The nicest, most romantic restaurant is The Dining Room at Ford's Colony. Pricey though. The Williamsburg Inn is always a possibility but has an older crowd with a stuffier atmosphere. A younger crowd frequents A Carrols. Its expensive enough that your friends would appreciate a gift certificate but I don't think the atmosphere is romantic. A fun place with very good food is Cities Grill but also not very romantic. I would provide phone numbers but our phone book was left at work. Check any online yellow pages.
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Nancy- I think the BEST restaurant in Williamsburg is THE TRELLIS- award winning chef...

and another one that I LOVE is :

Le Yaca Restaurant
1915 Pocahontas Trl #C10
Williamsburg, Virginia 23185-5630 ph: 757.220.3616
This a quaint French Bistro...with awesome food!! I consider this high end--and very romantic...has an open pit rotisserie as you enter....GREAT food!

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 05:59 PM

Nancy-forgot to tell you that The Trellis is in DOWNTOWN Colonial Williamsburg , really close to William and Mary College--

Le Yaca is near Busch Gardens...

I know the couple has to have a car, so either restaurant is drivable and in their area...

While the TRELLIS is NOT what I call super romantic..it can tend to get a little noisey...but the food is definitely TOP DRAWER and something a young couple would need to splurge on if spending their own money...

But for romance and great food, definitely Le Yaca...
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 06:32 PM

I forgot about Le Yaca. Had a very nice meal there a couple of weeks ago. I usually find that their menu is a little limited but this time they were on "post hurricane" supplies and were a little bit more creative. Also forgot about White Hall on Jamestown. Very Continental. Left Trellis off the list for a reason. Do a search on Williamsburg restaurants.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 02:24 AM

I agree with Birdie's suggestions and would add a new place, The Fat Canary, which ironically is owned by the same family who opened The Trellis many years ago (when it was a wonderful and innovative place to dine).
It's adjacent to the Cheese Shop on Merchant Square.

The Trellis isn't bad. But it isn't anywhere as good as it used to be. All hype and high prices.

I'd also toss the Williamsburg Inn into the pot. Definitely high end but on the formal side.

Birdie, I've head the ex-FC chef is opening his own place in town. Now that would be good news for Wmbg!
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 08:24 AM

Yes, I'm looking forward to trying out the new restaurant when it opens. Have tried to get into the Fat Canary a couple of times without luck. I wonder if they will close for a period of time in Jan. or Feb. like so many others do. That's when we usually take advantage of the less crowded times.