nyc first time itinerary

Search

nyc first time itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nyc first time itinerary

I am going to NYC in a couple of weeks and have researched and read the books. I have been, but my husband has not. He is not a huge museum person and we live in a major city with lots of great restaurants, so we really want the NYC experience. Please comment as needed.
Day one
Arrive at noon. Taxi to hotel (Omni Berkshire) Check in and head to NBC and buy tickets for a later tour. From there go to Carnegie Deli for lunch. Then back to Rockefeller Center, NBC Tour, Radio City and general sights of that area. Head to Central Park for Carriage Ride. Back to hotel by 6:30 (hopefully) and we have dinner reservations at Il Cortile in Little Italy (yes I know it is a touristy area, but think it is fun) at 8:00. After dinner would like to have a drink at either King Cole at the St. Regis or the Monkey Bar at Hotel Elysee (suggestions?)

Day Two
would like to have a "typical NYC breakfast at a diner (suggestions?) then off to stock exchange. How should we get there? Next we are planning to see ground zero, Trinity Church, St Pauls. Would like to hit SOHO around lunch (we get up early) where we have planned on a light lunch at Jerrys. From there to Canal Street for knock offs then back to hotel. Again, taxi or subway and if so which one? Dinner at 6:15 at Thalias in the theater district and 8
tickets to Mama Mias. Stroll around times square, etc.
Day Three
We have to check out by 2 pm, so we thought we would store our bags and head to Greenwich Village. Have plans for lunch at Garage Restaurant and a beer at McSorleys. We are not leaving until 8:00 that night, so rest of day we will "fill in" with anything we feel like we missed.
Also, based on itinerary and plans, what should be pack to wear. I have never been to NYC in summer and want to be cool but dressed appropriately.
Thanks for any help!!!!!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 02:06 PM

Uness your tour books are pretty old, they should point out that the NYSE is not open for tours or visitors.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

yea, I know that. I just thought we would see where it is.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 02:47 PM
emd

What days of the week are these?
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

tues through thursday
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:23 PM

Topping this..
It looks like an ambitious itinerary but it all sounds nice too
Comfortable walking shoes and light cotton clothing with a light sweater for overly air conditioned restaurants. In the summer heat and humidity, I prefer to wear skirts or summer dresses.
I hope this helps get you some more responses
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

thanks Scarlett. I will keep looking!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:42 PM

Hi, shezoolover - I am not enough of an expert to help you with much of your itinerary. You'll have fun at Mama Mia. I try to use the subway whenever possible. It seems much faster than a cab, and you have an ambitious itinerary/schedule. let us know how you like your hotel and give us a review of your trip when you get back, ok? have fun!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 03:12 AM
J62

Seems like a pretty nice little 2 day trip. Nothing wrong with that - I do 1 day trips to NYC all the time.

A couple of comments.

Day seems too tightly 'scheduled' I find the enjoyment of NYC to be exploring, not buzzing from specific location to specific location. Don't plan on Carnegie Deli for lunch - there 1000's of great delis in NY, most of them unnamed. Since you have a nice dinner planned, grab lunch when and where you can. The good news is Rock center, Carnegie, CP are all close to the Omni, so your idea could work just fine. Personally, I'd get takeout and hangout in RF center or central park and eat /people watch at the same time.

6:30 carriage ride in CP before 8:00 dinner seems rushed. I prefer night time carriage ride myself, when the only place you have to go is back to hotel. Carriage could drop you right at hotel perhaps if you do after dinner ride.

Day 2. Sounds like fun. Take a subway right to lower Manhattan - hotel can tell you exactly which line touse. When you are tired, just grab a taxi back to hotel to rest, freshen up for evening, and have a great time. 6:15 dinner is plenty of time - try to show up early rather than late, so you are not too rushed.

Check the weather forecast. Not sure exactly when you are going - sounds like August. It'll either be hot and humid or very hot and very humid. Daytime - shorts are de rigeur, comfortable walking shoes - even white sneakers are ok. Anything goes in NYC. Regardless of where you are you will be neither the best or worst dressed.

Dinner and shows dress slacks and polo or nice short sleeve dress shirt are perfectly fine. or skirt/blouse. (Unfortunately ) these days, many will go to the show in jeans and logo t-shirts. I prefer to look and feel nicer myself.

Definitely bring extra shirts to change into for afternoon or evening as you'll soak through one by 10am if you are out and about on a humid August day.

have a great trip.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 04:00 AM
emd

The reason I asked the days is that On Thurs and Sat. at noon there is a 1.5 hr free walking tour of the Stock Exchange, Wall st., and other sites in that area like Trinity Church, US Customs House.

See the entry at the bottom of this page:

http://www.downtownny.com/gettingaround/

Did you know that you can buy tickets for the NBC/Rock/Radio City tour online before you go? I do not know how full they get and whether you can get walk up tickets that day or not.

Send your post to the top on Monday morning when the New Yorkers on this site are back and posting.

I love NYC and go whenever I can; am taking my daughter for 4 days at end of August.

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 05:49 AM

OK, a few thoughts and tips from a ny-er. Sounds like you have a pretty well planned intinerary. I don't have a rcommendation for a "diner" type breakfast, cuz I'm more of a brunch kind of girl, but I love Great Jones cafe for brunch or anytime. It's in NOHO - bowery and great jones.
As far as transportation, the E train will take you from midtown to WTC/downtown westside. It can also take you back uptown from Canal if you are on the west side. You are also staying near the B/D/F/V trains, but they don't run downtown near the stuff you want to see. Cabs may be your best bet.
As for what to wear - it has been miserably hot here lately. Be prepared to wear as little as decency will allow. Summer in NYC is always pretty warm and humid, even if we're not in a heat wave. One light long sleeve top just in case you decide to stroll along Hudson River park - something you may consider for Sunday since you'll be in the viliage.
Have fun!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks. The only change I might make is to do a tour upon arrival and postpone the carriage ride until after the show. Any suggestions on short tours that will really get us acquanted with the city but not take up the whole day?
Water or ground?
I think I will take advice and skip Carnegies and make more time to stroll. I tend to try to do much! It is the high school teacher in me. A bit controlling. My hubby would say more than a bit!
Also, is there any way to get last minute tickets to Letterman or Regis and Kelly without standing in line for hours?
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:28 AM

I'd also like to know about tickets to Regis and Kelly....
Thanks,
Shadow