NYC dwellers, can you help me?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in NYC for NYE. We (myself, my husband and another couple) are going to see a band at BB King's Blues Club on W 42st, but the band we are seeing does not go on til 1:30am....so we need a place to hang out and bring the new year in before we head over to BB's. Ideally we'd like to just grab a late dinner at a place we could also hang out at (IE has a cool atmosphere/bar)until after the new year and then head to see the band. I know NYE in NYC is a nut house and I am not sure were to even begin to find a restaurant/bar.
We are all in out late 20's and like loungey type places. If anyone has a suggestion please pass them along!!Thanks
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 06:56 PM
JAS

A few thoughts....

Blue FIn located on 47th and Broadway (less than 10 min walk to BB Kings) is a funky hip sushi/fish restaurant. Cool atmosphere, good food, drinks and reasonably priced (for NY that is!) check out brguestrestaurants.com for menu info etc.

A little further up on 54th & broadway is Serafina a cool Italian place- pizzas, pastas fish, meat- everything and always crowded, fun.

Marseille on 9th and 43rd St (I think or 44th) has good food and is fun too.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need more suggestions. You can also check out menupages.com to see menus for these places.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 07:10 PM

I would think you'll want to stay west of BB King's to avoid the crush of Times Square. Marseilles is a good suggestion and Jezebel at the corner of Ninth and 45th is another (plus it will put you in the mood for BB King's). I'd call to make sure you can get into either for NYE. So many places have special reservations, minimums, or cover charges required.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 07:12 PM
JAS

One more thought (keeping in mind staying west) is Hell's Kitchen. Its a fun mexican/southwestern place on 9th ave and i believe 44th street.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 04:36 AM

I doubt you will be able to get into Blue Fin with all the NYE crowds and the police barriers. I forget when they block off the streets...around 6 PM?

Go to a restaurant on 9th Avenue, and you'll be away from the crowds but still close to BB King's. I like Patrick's suggestions.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:46 AM

By late afternoon the entire area around Times Square will be blocked off - with everyone being herded into pens to wait the the Ball Drop. the only way you'll be able to get to BB King's is to approach from the West - so you'll need something on 9th or further west definitely.

Also, be aware that you'll need to be very careful how you exit the subway in order to avoid being trapped by the crowds. Perhaps the bus or a cab will be better (not sure where you'll be coming from).

Patrick's idea is a great one.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! These are great suggestions and good advice regarding the crowds of Times Square. We certainly don't want to get caught up in all that. We'll def stay west of BB King's.
I am sure we'll be taking cabs, although we will take the train in. Any suggestion on where to get off in order to avoid the crowds? We can take a cab once we get off to where ever we need to get too.....
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:59 AM

Cabwise, you'll have to stay west of 8th Avenue, as the side streets are closed off between 8th and 6th Avenues (at least). There will be massive traffic congestion in the midtown area that night. So, cab rides will be a time-consuming activity! Walk, if possible.
You say you are taking the train in. So, whether you come into Grand Central or Penn Station, you are near enough to walk to your destination. However, keep in mind that if it's Grand Central, you may have to walk south a bit before going across town to avoid Times Square.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 09:14 AM

If you're taking the train into Grand Central, hop on the Times Square Shuttle and walk underground to Port Authority (42nd & 8th). It will be crowded down there, but the street will be impassable (unless you walk a few blocks south, like Howard said).
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 09:21 AM

If coming in to Grand Central, I would say walk North and then cut across, say in the low to mid 50s. Go all the way to Ninth and then walk down -- perhaps you'll find a fun bar to hang in until you *walk* down to BB Kings. From TONS of past experience, walking (if you can) is really the way to go.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Yes, walking sounds like a must, thanks, we'll be sure to heed everyone's advice and WALK! Sounds like there are quite a few bars on 9th street, is this true? Any other suggestions for places to grab dinner?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:34 AM

That would be Ninth *Avenue* not Ninth *Street*. 9th St. is waaaaaaaay downtown. And yes, there are quite a few bars on 9th Ave. and on the side streets. Just walk on 9th and look up and down the side streets for something that looks interesting.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

yes, oops, my mistake, i have to remember that avenues and streets make a big difference in NYC.

I think I better have dinner reservations before we get there though. So anyone that had ideas for restaurants on 9th AVE, please share!!
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:29 AM

Ok... I'll toss Becco into the mix. Great Italian and fun atmosphere. Here is the address 355 W 46th St
New York, NY 10036
Cross Street: Between Eighth Avenue and Ninth Avenue
Phone: (212) 397-7597

As I think of others, I'll post.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:33 PM

Also, BB Kings has a bar and restaurant called Lucille's that has bands and a dance floor and great food. You can always hang out there until the show starts. Just check with them to be sure its not rented out for a holiday party.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone comment on this idea.....
we are thinking of heading in to the City (by train) and going straight downtown to Tribeca, and staying around that area from about 9pm to 1am and then taking the subway (not a cab!) back up town to the Time's Square area and BB King's.
I am trying to avoid the whole craziness of Times Square as much as possible. But will it even be dificult to travel via the subway that night???

Thanks a ton to everyone who has helped me think this all through so far!!
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:53 AM

That's not a bad idea. The subways will be full but not "difficult". They may run extra trains.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:53 AM

You should be OK to come back uptown after midnight - although you can still expect crowds on the street. (Though I believe that in recent years they do some subway rerouting around Times Square for security purposes. Perhaps check the mta website to be sure.)
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:37 AM

I think that's a very good idea. There's a really nice bar on North Moore Street (between Varick and Hudson on the North side of the Street) called Brandy Bar (I believe -- someone who lives in Tribeca please correct me if I'm wrong). Very nice vibe and pretty people.