NYC - Dining Near Cloisters?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be going to the Cloisters for the first time this week -- anyone know of place to get lunch nearby? I know there's a little cafe on the premises but the food looks very ordinary. Barring that, we'll be spending the morning at the Metropolitan Museum in Central Park before heading to the Cloisters, so something in that neighborhood would be good. We like modern american, french, spanish, and italian -- light rather than heavy food, and moderately-priced (say $50 for food).
Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 04:50 PM

Don't even bother with the café on the Cloisters' premises. The location can't be beat, but it's just bad espresso, expensive mini bottles of Coke, and giant cookies.

We ate at the New Leaf Café in Fort Tryon Park, which is, if I recall correctly, one bus stop from the Cloisters, in a location that could be compared to nothing else on Manhattan Island. I would definitely call the cuisine here "modern American" with organic ingredients, light dishes, and so forth.

http://www.nyrp.org/newleaf/
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:47 PM

The Cloisters is really beautiful especially during the summer, and make some time to enjoy the outdoor gardens overlooking the Hudson River, the view is breathtaking.

There really isn't much in the way of eateries in the immediate area. The New Leaf (I think that is the old Unicorn Cafe) is pretty good and does have a nice view but if you continue walking through Ft. Tyron Park and down Ft. Washington Ave to 187th St, there is a WONDERFUL Indian restaurant called Kismat. We order from there alot and I highly recommend the food.

There are also a couple of other restaurants in that area as well, but Kismat is the best.

Enjoy your trip and the Cloisters.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Both sound fantastic! This was exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for...
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:48 AM

If you decide to eat near the Met before going to the Cloisters, there are a few places on Madison Ave. in the 80s. EAT on Mad. 08-81 (owned by Eli Zabar) is good but pricey (within your budget though)for sandwiches, omelettes etc. There's a coffee shop on 82nd. There's a Pain Quotidien 84-85. Caffe Grazie on 84th betw 5th and Mad. is decent Italian. Cafe Sabarsky in the Neue Museum on 86th & Fifth is Viennese (good selection of sandwiches, salads etc. and very pretty.)