Lunch Near Metropolitan or Cloisters?

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch Near Metropolitan or Cloisters?

Hi - My husband and I will be doing a short visit to NY before cruising to Bermuda. We plan to do the Metropilitan and the Cloisters one day. Can you recommend a good place for a reasonable priced causual lunch (that won't take to long) near either of these? Any comments on the cafe at the Cloisters? Thanks!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:37 AM

There are 2 dining options at the Cloisters. I did not eat as the one that is right on site since it was closed; I did walk down to a beautiful restaurant that was about 2 city blocks away--it is in the Ft Tyron park. A treat in and of itself. I imagine that if it's not crowded and you order things like salads you could dine in 1 hr. Is it reasonable? Probably $8 for burger and fries, $4 for delicious soup and so on. Usually the drinks and coffees are way overpriced at these places.
The Met has several dining options.
The roof garden has snacks (a museum highlight), the cafeteria is croweded and mod. priced, food so so; there is also a cafe in the american wing that has sandwiches. OF course, you can get hot dogs or soulvalki in front of the Met. I hope you are not going togo to both places in one day. If you want to do the "park" there are several small, casual places in the upper 60's, baseball cafe near carosel...are you walkers? Both are amazing--so is Bermuda! Great trip.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply - We actually are doing both in one day. The Cloisters b/c it was my husband's top pick from the list of museum's I showed him (and I think I'll love it as well) and the Met b/c I insist. I realize we could spend the whole day (or 2 or 3) in the Met but to be fair to my hubby I'll need to pick a few highlights and just spend a couple hours. The plan here is for him to have a really enjoyable day so I can convince him to do a more extended NY trip this fall.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:46 AM

If you want to eat near the Met quickly, there's a good coffee shop on the corner of Madison (one block east of 5th) & 82nd. E.A.T is a famous gourmet food shop with a dining area on Madison betw 80-81. It's expensive.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:22 AM

The Met has a nicer restaurant in the same area as the cafeteria. Past the Greek/Roman art on the main floor (to the south as you enter).

The cloisters are part of the Met, so there's one entrance fee for both. A bus will take you from the Cloisters front door to the Met. Fort Tryon Park is really nice.

You could have lunch in the Boat House in Central Park, which isn't too far a walk into Central Park from the Met (at about the 72nd Street level). And it's a nice walk.

Have a good time. I love the cloisters.
Marge
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:41 AM

No offense but she did ask for reasonable and I do not think the Boathouse or the fancy Met are reasonable and are hardly quick eats!
I say, get to the Met as soon as it opens, spend 3 hrs, find out the bus schedule to Ft Tryon, have lunch at the nice restaurant in the park there, enjoy the Cloister until closing.
A great day! And do make sure you see the view of the park from the roof garden which has Oldenburg (sp) works and drinks--have a smoothie to tide you over or a fancy coffee at the cafe in the American wing.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Some great suggestions, esp. the coffee shop and the Tyron Park restaurant - thanks! I'll mark them all on my handy map and see what we are in the mood for. We would normally be tempted by hot dogs in front of the Met but I don't want to start our cruise w/ stomach or other digestive problems! Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant in Tyron Park? Also, I had planned on taking the A train to Cloisters b/c I read the bus was slow ... is there a good reason to take the bus at least one way?
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:59 AM

The A train doesn't stop anywhere near the Met, unfortunately. You'd HAVE to take a bus, at least part of the way. Or walk across the park to Central Park West and hop on a C train (often few and far between), then switch to an A train at 125th Street.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:00 AM
AC

Hi:
The M4 bus terminates right in Fort Tryon Park. The trip depending on traffic from mid town would be about 40-55 minutes.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Wow - Glad I asked about the train. Could someone give me a little more detail re: the train v. the bus going between Cloisters and the Met? The Met website just said take the A Train to 190th street to get to the Cloisters and I (silly me) assumed it was fairly easy to do and faster than the bus. I do have a subway map but, obviously, need to spend some more time learning to read it!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:56 AM

I'd always taken the train up to the Cloisters until our last visit. We took the bus but it was really slow - well over an hour from 50th and Madison. It was a fairly interesting ride. Suzanne is right, you'd have to walk, cab, or take a cross town bus to get to the train. The bus stops right in front of the Cloisters. The 190th St stop is downhill from the Cloisters and about a ten minute walk through Ft. Tryon Park.
We love the Cloisters - hope your husband does too!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:03 AM

Just south of the Met you could catch the M79 crosstown bus that goes through Central Park. If you get off right when you clear the park at Central Park West and 81st St, you'll be right by the subway station. Take an uptown train (B, C) and change as suzanne said to the A train to 190th St.

If you decide to take the bus, you can catch the M4 bus on Madison Ave.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate the info! I think we will go to Cloister's first, we are staying in Times Square and it looks like there are a couple places to catch the A train in that area. If I'm reading the subway map right we can take the A train from Cloister's back down to 81st street just west of Central Park and walk across the park to the Met. Have I got that right? Any idea how long the train will be? Thanks again!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:21 AM

It takes about 50 min...it goes through some so so neighborhoods; if you are older, maybe take a taxi.
About $25.
Do not wear exp. jewelry.
But do go--call the Cloisters and they will give you the rest. name.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:52 AM

We live in Washington Heights and I would not recommend taking the bus, it takes much to long to get up here from anywhere in Midtown, and secondly if you want to encourage your husband to visit again the views from the bus won't be encouraging.

That said, the Cloisters, just spend the day there and enjoy the peace and quiet and the beautiful things the museum offers. Some of the world reknown tapestries are there and the "treasures" room downstairs are amazing.

If you want to do something special, you might bring sandwiches with you and have a picnic on the grounds of the Cloisters or in Ft. Tryon Park, or on you way up to the Museum or back down, have dinner at one of the BEST Indian restuarants in the city, Kismat, at 187th and Ft. Washington Ave. There are also a couple of other cafes in that area as well.

Also when you get out of the subway, follow the signs for the Cloisters, as there are 2 exits, and you want to be upstairs, there is an elevator you have to take.

From there the walk through the park is really beautiful and you won't have a clue you are still in Manahattan, the views of the river there are breathtaking.

Have a great time.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:57 AM

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest anything over budget and too slow, whoops ;-)

One thing you could do is get a sandwich and whatever other goodies in your neighborhood before you head up to the cloisters then eat lunch in the park. Then take the bus down to the Met.

I've taken the train to the park near the cloisters a few times. I remember it being a little longer walk through the park than 10min, maybe I'm a slower walker, ha. But, to me, it was a little bit of a trek. The bus that goes up the west side is very slow, but interesting.

I'd suggest going to the cloisters first then taking the bus from the cloisters to the Met because the bus travels down 5th Avenue right in front of the Met.

You could take a cab to the cloisters, or the bus from the west side that's slow but leaves you at the door, or the A train that's relatively quick then a walk through the park.
Marge
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:12 AM

The restaurant in the park is called the New Leaf. If you go to www.nyrp.org you can learn about it.
Apparently it is part of a restoration project sponsored by Bette Midler. SO check it out!
THey also suggest taking the A train.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:11 PM

mcqueeney: about the A train--you almost have it correct. The A train does NOT stop at 81st St. It speeds right past that station. You can transfer at 125th St to the local trains (B,C) that will stop at 81st.

If you don't feel like walking across the park (it's raining perhaps) you can transfer for free to the M79 bus that goes east through the park (at 81st St on the wesy side) and get off at 5th Ave.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 02:46 PM

You're geting such nice advice.

I add my voice however to the voices of caution about the A train. I especially don't like the idea of you changing trains at 125th Street, I think it could make you nervous. If you are going to get involved with the A train I think you should get on it somewhere else, and maybe ride in the conductor's car (look for him sticking his head out as the train draws into the station). I'm remembering your wanting to make you husband comfortable here.

I'd suggest coming up with cabfare if you go from the Metropolitan Museum to the Cloisters.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Hey Everyone - I really appreciate all the ideas and advice and I think its so nice some of you are so concerned about your fellow travelers! Just to clarify ... we are in our mid 30s and early 40s, good w/ walking a lot if the weather is nice, and not at all nervous about taking the subway. The comment about making my DH comfortable was meant in reference to his resistance to museums/cultural attractions not to the City or the subway. I now think (thanks to all of you making me check and re-check) that I understand the subway map; the key was understanding the express trains v. local trains and the fact that some trains go THROUGH a station but don't stop there. I see now how to take the A train from Cloister's and switch to the C train at 145th or 125th street, ending up at 81st. Will hop on the bus as suggested if the weather is not good for a walk across the park. I'm really glad I got that straight before we went b/c getting lost on the way to a museum would NOT have put the DH in the mood to enjoy it! Again thanks for all the great tips, you all saved the day!