Reload this Page >

lunch around Gramercy Park (NYC)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:11 AM
kim

We will be checking into our hotel (Inn at Irving) around noon on Friday and need a place for a quick lunch. We have dinner reservations for 6 pm at Becco, so don't want to overdo at lunch. Any suggestions? Burgers, salads, soups all sound good.

Thanks!

Kim

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:27 AM
tommy

Mumbles Restaurant on 17th and 3rd is a bar/restaurant type place - reasonable, standard food in a pub typ atmosphere.

Friend of a Farmer on Irving Place, on the other side of the Park from the hotel. It serves "country" type comfort food.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:40 AM
suzanne

Hi Kim, I work somewhat near Gramercy Park...here are a couple suggestions.

For the best burgers in the city, go to Old Town Bar at 45 E 18th Street. The bar is historic, and the lunch is cheap.

On 5th Avenue just south of 23rd St (a bit of a walk from where you are staying) there are some good delis where I have lunch every day. One is City Market Cafe, which has soup, sandwiches, little $5 pizzas for one (though they feed two) and a salad guy who tosses salads for you with the ingredients you pick. Marinos also has good sandwiches, soups, and hot food & cold salad bars. Deli Marche has two enormous hot food & cold salad bars.

You won't have trouble finding food, there are hundreds of restaurants within walking distance of your hotel. When in a real hurry, grab a quick slice of pizza - that's what we NYers do! There are pizza places everywhere.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:49 AM
darvy

For a light lunch, I would do a little sushi at Mizu. It's very nice and peaceful! 29 E 20th St is the address.

-darvy

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 05:20 PM
Elizabeth

On Irving Place across the street from your hotel:

-Friend of a Farmer, already mentioned -- there are always lines there & it might take too long

71 Irving Place has coffee, pastries, soup, maybe a sandwich, and is very nice and reliable

Choshi at 18th and Irving is a modest and adequate non-frills Japanese place, you could have sushi/sashimi or other food.

On 16th and Irving, the Cottage Chinese restaurant is also quite adequate, inexpensive, and fast.

I understand you'll be at the Inn, not the G Park Hotel, so these places are all on your side of the Park.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 05:32 PM
al

The Old Town Bar is a good suggestion, and on the same street a block or 2 east is Pete's Tavern, another old New York pub.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:00 AM
tommy

Thanks for correcting my post Elizabeth - I was thinking Gramercy Park Hotel when I said F of F was on the other side of the park.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:57 AM
crusty

My favorite food in the world is now Indian cuisine. Go to Little India.

Want a burger? Stay home and cook chopped chuck, pop a can of Man Handler in the micro wave.

We found several excellent indian restaurants around 33rd St. & 3rd avenue. Curry in a Hurry!! Very reasonbly priced.
So many new foods that my tast buds have never experienced....

There are so many options (Thai, Italian, Viet Namiese, Deli, real Hot Dogs). Where else but in NY can you find so many types of ethnic neighborhoods and restaurants?