Search

NYC: Madison Square Park/Gramercy area restaurant questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC: Madison Square Park/Gramercy area restaurant questions

Staying in this area with a group of friends later this week/weekend -

Any particular restaurants/ cafes/ music venues that anyone would like to share ? So far on our list are Union Square Cafe, Park Avenue Bistro for dinners - L'Express or Coffee Shop for breakfast or late night -

Union Square for the market and the nearby chocolate shops and coffee shops like Tisserie -

One day we have tickets tp to Botanical Gardens for the holiday train display - one day we are hoping to get a break from the forecasted rain and do the holiday windows- I have the map/article from Time Out NY - at some point we will hit MOMA and the MET -
But for the times we are hanging in this area - sharing a favorite spot of yours within walking distance would be much appreciated -

thanks !

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 03:21 AM

How are you getting to the Bronx? because there is a wonderful area to eat right near the Botanical Gardens.
It is Known as Arthur Ave (Around 187ST AND Arthur Ave)

Easy to reach by car.

Great Italian resturants and pastry shops

John
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 03:40 AM
mp

Check out the recent thread about living in the area for a month, aduchamp and otto have a good list of local places.

71 Irving is a sweet little coffee/lunch place w/ better food than L'Express.

I like Via Emilia for reasonable, very good Italian. La Pizza Fresca has pretty good pizza in a nice sit-down atmosphere. We love the Bread Bar at Tabla for terrific Indian snacks and drinks. And of course Blue Smoke for very good BBQ. Mclaurie recommended a little place on Lexington called Penelope. Oh and a terrific new little sandwich/snack place on Lex and 25th called Baoguette, with Vietnamese/French sandwiches and noodle dishes.

Check out addresses and menus at www.menupages.com or www.nymag.com
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 05:32 AM

L'Express or Coffee Shop for breakfast or late night -

Please avoid these places if possible.

There is a long listing just last week on this.

For breakfast City bakery which has many tables is excellent and if you like diner atmospheres try Chat n Chew.

We have not eaten at Park Avenue Bistro but looks expensive for what you get.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 10:23 AM

The Jazz Standard is downstairs from Blue Smoke. If you've never been to ABC Carpet (19th & Broadway) go for the fun of it and check out the chocolate they have http://www.chocolatmichelcluizel-na.com/

Try to hit the Met at a time when you can see the tree lighting.
http://www.metmuseum.org/now_at_the_...owatmet_r#tree

Ditto on reading the other thread going on Gramercy area. What not Gramercy Tavern?

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM

That's one of my favorite areas of the city for restaurants--I always make a point to have lunch at Gramercy Tavern and ribs at Blue Smoke. This year I also had lunch at Tabla which was great, and I want to try Eleven Madison again (I'm a big Danny Meyer fan, obviously).

And I love Les Halles as well--I also had lunch there on my most recent trip. The chocolate souffle is delicious!
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Here's a vote for Tabla's more casual little sister, Bread Bar, on the first floor. I like sitting against the far wall at a banquette and watching everyone else in the room.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 08:27 PM

By the way if you like veggie food, Hangawi, a Korean reaturant with a serene setting is an excellent choice. You must remove your shoes upon entering but you can put your feet in a well (no water) so you do not have to eat in strange posiitons.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all ! Between getting out of the office and the horrendous rain, we didn't get to our friends in CT until late so I didn't get to acknowledge this until now -
we are off to the city in a bit, but wanted to thank you for great suggestions - I will also look for that thread mentioned re: month in the city -

To answer a few queries: no Gramercy Tavern b/c they were booked - we love it there too ! No Blue Smoke only b/c my daughters roommate worked there for years and a few of her friends still do - while we might do the jazz-and four of the group are southerners and we have put that on the possible list for years to do bbq in NYC with this annual outing and can't seem to convince them we have exc bba up here ! - but you may have inspired me to give it another shot !

L'Express and Coffee Shop I had on the list as possibles - although I have not been for a few yrs I had grabbed a few breakfasts at the first and enjoyed some salads at the other for quick lunches when I'd be visiting my daughter before she moved from that area to the upper east side -

But Chat n Chew looks fabulous - we might all hit there today for our lunch if everyone lands on time at the airport.....in this weather.....

We've been to Dominics and agree it is great - although I don't know how some of the group will react to the whole experience - my girlfriend and I were laughing last night about what the diners next to us were charged once! I hadn't thought of it b/c we were taking the train but now one couple from upper state NY is driving down a day late and meeting us tomorrow at the Botanical, and have room for all of us for the ride back, so now that is an easier option - good thought !

McLaurie I think one of the couples who actually flew in to the city yesterday are thinking of doing the MET today (there are a few times we all split up) and I am sending her a message to do it later and see the tree lighting if she'd like -

I'm going to google all these wonderful suggestions and have the list with me when we all meet up today - THANKS ALL !
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 05:58 AM

I am also a fan of Les Halles. I love their Rossini burger with foie gras. The frites are fabulous, and so is the sauteed calamari.

I get weepy when I think of Les Halles because I used to go there for lunch with my mother, Linda.

Thin
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 06:46 AM

I live and work in the area and I can make the following recommendations. Casa Mono, Mario Battaglia's entry in the area is outstanding for dishes you have never experienced anywhere else. You need to go on an off hour, otherwise you wont get in. Downside is that it is not a very big place and it will get crowded. The bar and table area at Grammercy Tavern is also a great option for an off hour (until 6 pm). After that there will be a line. Next door is a great cool place for drinks, especially champagne at Flute just to the west. Coffee Shop at Union Square is good for brunch. Penelope's is too. Good Falafel upstairs at Kalustyans on Lex and 28th. Tabla bar is another good selection for lunch. Danals on 5th b/w 12th and 13th is cool and good for dinner and very good for brunch. I saw David Bowie there the other day. Of course, Gotham on 12th off university is very good, though pricey. Forget L'Express, Via Emilia, Park avenue Bistro, Les Halles, chat and chew. All are good, but there are better (although the mac and cheese is pretty good c & c if you are a diehart mac and cheese person). Also good is Mesa Grill on 5th off 16th. I'm glad that your questions and answers here did not include the east village or west village, cause if I wrote about those areas I would have no time to do any work today.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Escargot:

Instead of Dominic's you might want to try:
Antonio's Trattoria on Belmont avenue
718-733-6630

This is more of a good sit-down Italian Resturant instead of a tourist attraction.

John
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 11:18 AM
WG

we have 2 daughters who live in the union square - gramercy park area so i have a few recommendations for restaurants - Gotham bar and grill is very special - we have also eaten at Union Square Cafe, and Gramercy Tavern, and liked them in that order, actually - these are expensive and special night out places. try Irving Mill - excellent and nice decor. or "House" -its in a very quaint converted carriage house - at least go for drinks in front bar room. also Casa Mono - good and unusual tapas. and then you must go to Friend of a Farmer for brunch or lunch. Bon appetit.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 04:09 PM

For lunch or an inexpensive dinner, consider Old Town Bar, on E. 18th bet. Broadway and Park.
http://www.oldtownbar.com/

It's a historic bar/tavern known for great burgers (I like the grilled cheese!). Beautiful tin ceilings!

Also, just a little trivia - if you are "Mad About You" fans, this restaurant was the facade for their regular place, Riff's.