Cape Cod - Family vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been researching different lodging options for our family vacation (July 2009) and cannot decide between renting a private cottage or booking a resort cottage with kitchen.

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children ages 15,12,5) and want to experience a beach vacation in Cape Cod (beach, parasailing, claming, hiking, fishing, bicycling, shopping, etc.).

Anyone have any recommendations for private cottage/house rentals or family resorts? Our budget is $1800K-$2800K per week.

Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:10 AM

ttt
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 08:47 AM

There are many good options and you are wise to start looking now, within a few months the best will be booked for next Summer. Several folks on this board are far more expert than I, so i hope they see this thread. To help, it's clear you like summer/water sports and I am thinking the outer Cape may be best (Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro), but the towns are not as substantial and "busy" as those in the mid-cape areas. Are you OK with that?
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 11:01 AM

I'll agree with Seafox on this- because of the National Seashore, and all it has to offer, the Outer Cape would have almost everything you would wish to make a perfect family vacation, from campfires in the evening on the beach, to low tide walks for the kids to see all the little critters, square dances at night, children's theatre,fishing on the pier (it's free, save for the bait as long as you have your own fishing poles!) small skiff's to rent and explore the harbor and coves, canoeing the marsh- pedaling the ponds, and of course the bike trail-
I would suggest you look into renting a cottage. There are two sites, cyberrental.com, and weneedavacation.com, that will have accomadations in your price range, and ask very specific questions on the number of people, amenities, etc. Wellfleet, in my opinion, has all you might wish for, and it includes a village pretty much unchanged from it's whaling/fishing village heritage. Go to the chamber of Commerce website- Wellfleet .org, as well as other towns websites- it will help you decide on the town you feel would be right for you.
If you click on my name, at the top of my response, you will find much information on various aspects of the Cape.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 06:57 AM

We looked into staying on Cape Cod and eventually decided to go to Nantucket. I'd say go to the Chamber of Commerce website and call them directly. They might send you some information and then you can research more. Family resorts has housekeeping and some sort of service. Cottages do not. Cottages also don't include breakfast. Those are things you should consider. Good luck! It's fun planning.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM

I agree that the outer cape would suite your needs. Take a look at the B+B's in Wellfleet on the Chamber site:www.wellfleetchamber.com because there is at least one there that might be a nice compromise between a full-fledge resort and a rental house. It is called Oyster Cove B+B and it offers family accommodations in a suite with views to the water. If you stay in a house, you will have to research things to do which may not be a problem for you since you are getting a good head start on the summer. If you stay in a B+B, the innkeepers can guide to to the activities you want to experience and you get a breakfast to boot! It's a bit pricey but you can save a few dollars by eating in once or twice. Either way, you will love the outer cape with the National Seashore and beautiful surroundings.