Manhattan eateries

Old Dec 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manhattan eateries

A friend is going to NYC next month...and my family will go end of June, and she asked me if I could help her out with some restaurant ideas.

Well she gave me a list of key words to help and here they are...

edgy
foodie
bistro
could be ethnic
entrees under $30
place to hang out
good bar

Anyplace ring a bell with those things in mind?

TIA,

thereyet
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 12:32 AM

Hello Thereyet. I live in NY and here is a list I print every once in a while. Most are inexpensive and downtown. There are a number of newer places that we have only tried once that are not on the list. All restaurants on the list, we have been to at least twice and most many more times than that

Indian-Brick Lane-Banjara, Mitali, Brick Lane

Inexpensive Italian- La Marca (3rd Ave. and 22 Street, only opened noon-10 PM, Mon-Fri) Great Value

Nicky's Vietnamese Sandwiches (limited seating)

Burgers Black Iron also have wonderful onion rings, Paul's (on Second Avneue local divery place), Corner Bistro (on everyone's list but it is a zoo on weekends)

Pork sandwiches-Porchetta (that is all they offer)

Medium priced Italian- Cacio e Pepe (Romano, Gnocco, Supper (Nothern Italian, cash only, could be the best place on the list), Luzzos (Wood burning pizza oven), inoteca, Perbaco (small plates), La Lavanga

Expensive Italian- I Coppi (Nothern Italian For dinner But great brunch value)

Inexpensive Eastern European- Veselka

French Bistro- Casimir, Flea market, Lucien

Greek-Pylos (little more expensive)

Tapas- Tia Pol, Bar Carrera, Café Mono (more expensive)

Dessert-Veniero's, DeRobertis for the frozen lemon thing and tortonis.

Bagels- Ess-a-Bagel

Brunches-Five Points, Blue Ribbon Bakery, City Bakery (18th off 5th), Cafecito (Ave C), Clinton Street Bakery (our favorite but must go during the week, weekends are a zoo)

Pizza-Lombardi's, Totonno's, Pizza Fresca.

Pizza by the slice-Artichoke (14th Between First and Second) Bizarre service with a line because the pizza is good and the management is goofy

Hole in the wall-Stage (next to Stomp) great cheap home made soups and Eastern European fare. (Never see a visitor, looks like a dump)

French fires-Pomme Frites

Seafood-Mermaid Inn

Ice Cream-Cones on Bleecker, Il Laboratorio de Gelato, Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, Cones and Sundaes (East 10th), Grom (Italian chain)

Chinatown-.Big Wong, NY Noodletown, (Both are slap dash service and very inexpensive) Joe’s Ginger, Joe's Shanghai, Peking Duck

Dim Sum-Jing Fung, Golden Unicorn (Both are zoos on the weekends)

Jewish Delis-2nd Ave Deli, Katz’s (These are expensive for sandwiches but worth every bite)

Turkish-Turkish Kitchen (Sunday brunch buffet and everyday lunch prix fixe very good bargains)
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:10 AM
mp

how bout if I give you a suggestion for each word?

edgy (not sure what that means but if you mean cutting edge of 'food fashion' - Aldea

foodie - any Momofuku: Ko (good luck getting a reservation) Ssam (be prepared to wait) Noodle Bar (easy if you go early) Milk Bar (walk in any time for dessert)

bistro - DBGB Kitchen and Bar

could be ethnic - could be? probably the best food in NY IS 'ethnic' - how about Korean BBQ as reviewed in this yesterday's NY Times - Mandangsui
http://events.nytimes.com/2009/12/09...tml?ref=dining

entrees under $30 - see Time Out's list or NY Mag's cheap eats (http://nymag.com/restaurants/cheapeats/2009/) or Adu's good list above

place to hang out - hmmm - any NY restaurant is not so interested in you hanging out around meal times if it's busy, unless you're spending money - if you mean a lounge or bar, how about the hip lobby of the Ace Hotel, which serves great coffee and has a DJ at night http://www.acehotel.com/newyork

good bar - The Redhead; Rusty Knot; front room of Gramercy Tavern; Old Town; I'm not really a bar person anymore but here is a good database:
http://nymag.com/nightlife/?f=bars-sub

If you want ONE place that is ALL those words: I'd say Momofuku Ssam but you can't "Hang Out" there. And it's not a bar.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
Your list (including good bar and place to hang out) reminded me of the place LowCountryIslander wrote about in her trip report. I went there, and really enjoyed it.

Her description is here -
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ing-ground.cfm

and their website is here - http://www.divinebar.ypguides.net/
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Edgy in my friends case...I think equals = young, artsy, avant garde. She loves indie music, innovative cocktails, and seasonal/sustainable/organic inspired cuisine.

For Pizza, has anyone heard of John's on Bleeker St.?

How about Saigon Grill or Famous NY Noodle House?

Thanks Adu (nice list), mp and starrs. You all are great!

I said "could be ethnic only because I didn't want an all ethnic list. She/we LOVE ethnic cousine and I am sure there are not many places that rival NYC for such.

thereyet
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:47 AM

John's is famous. You can only buy whole pies - no slices
http://www.johnsbrickovenpizza.com/
The exception was the Taste of NY walking tours that I took (loved it)

I was killing time by myself and ate at the bar at the Divine Bar. Most of the folks at the bar were young and edgier than me Nice place and meets the criteria for bar and hanging out. Table service in on the second floor.

So many places... I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Yup, so far the response has been great.

I am sure whole pies are NOT a problem!
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Where are they staying? That may help. Almost every neighborhood has a "hang out" place.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

I'll find out where they are staying, and post back later.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 12:18 PM

John's is well known and is fine but is not good as some of the others. It is anything but edgy. Saigon Grill is acceptable and I have NY Noodletown on the list.

For "edgy" stay in the Rast Village and Lower East Side. There are many places on Stanton and Rivington and in Brooklyn, as well.

Get the Time Out NY Dining Guide.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM
mp

Saigon Village is - like . . it's the place you order from when you're too tired and broke to shop and cook. But only if you don't care about places paying their workers a living wage(they were involved in a long, acrimonious dispute with the staff last year) You can do better.

For a pizza place that is less tourist oriented and more favored by locals, try Motorino, Keste or Co. Artichoke, as Adu recommends is terrific, but mostly just a take out place for slices.

These days, edgy in NY is local, inexpensive comfort food, chef-driven, and sprinkled with bacon.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Great to see another Aldea fan here! Excellent!
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 03:10 PM

Must get over to Motorino and Aldea.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

mp, will strike Saigon village off the list. Thanks.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM

I agree, too, about Keste, although I think Motorino has better pizza. They have a good lunch deal--pizza and soup or salad.

The noodle house you are referring to is probably NY Noodletown on the corner of Bowery and Bayard in Chinatown. I love the place but you should know that it is no frills and you may have to share a table with other diners. (If that appalls you, you can stand your ground and try to wait for a private booth. Or go off hours.)

A big nix on Lombardis--strictly for tourists. If you are in that Little Italy area, L'Asso has good pizza.

Is your friend willing to travel to Brooklyn--right across the bridge (W'burg) there are some places that fulfill most of your requirements.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

My friend says she will be staying at the Muse on 46th St. at 5th Ave.

I will check out Brooklyn in June, but my friend spent all her time in Brooklyn last visit and wants to stay in Manhattan this time around.

Thanks everyone! And thanks ek for chiming in.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 09:35 PM

For bagels: will second Ess-a-bagel and would also add Murray's. If you only want the bagel to go with no toppings, would also recommend H&H Bagels.

There are lots of different ideas on NYC pizza, here and at every other board I've ever experienced. I especially liked John's and (in Brooklyn) Grimaldi's. Another Brooklyn spot, DiFara's, is supposed to be excellent, but I've never been. Was less taken with Lombardi's and Totonno's, but other folks like them.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Topping for the weekend posters.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 11:43 AM

We love Les Restaurant Sans Culottes. It is a country French place with great food, low prices and most important, a fun atmosphere. No bar though as I recall. It is located on 2nd ave just north of 57th street on the west side of the avenue. It's a pretty small place so reservations would be a good idea if going at a popular time.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM

Here is a good article from TimeOutNY:

http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/...-new-york-city

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information