Sheraton on Canal St.-Any Opinions???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We found a great deal ($59.) for the Sheraton on Hotwire. Has anyone stayed there recently that can give us their review? From the pix on the internet seems the upper floors provide great views of the city. Hope the rooms are good too.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:33 AM
Dan

If you're talking about the Sheraton in New Orleans, then that is a great price. The rooms are typical of a big chain hotel but in my opinion the Sheraton is nicer than the Marriott across the street.

I assume you've already purchased the hotel room since you know which hotel was offered (Hotwire doesn't give that info in advance).
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:34 PM

If you can get a hotel room at the Sheraton on Canal st for 50 bucks...GRAB IT!

It is your typical big hotel, clean, well run and always busy.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:03 AM

We stayed at the nearby J. W. Marriott, but visited the Sheraton. Huge, gorgeous lobby with bar and Starbucks. Location is fantastic. We were on an upper floor of the Marriott looking north and west - nice view but not much to see. You'd want a room facing east or south. Though, with Hotwire, you're not likely to be assigned to a higher floor.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:10 AM

Not sure when you're going but I just received a "3 nights for the price of 2" promotion from Sheraton in the mail yesterday. Must pay with Mastercard. www.sheraton.com/3for2, if you're going this summer this may be a better alternative. Must be signed up for starwood preferred guest.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:26 AM
Kal

Alooohaaa,
We've stayed at the Sheraton and agree that's while it's a generic Sheraton, it is a nice one. Good location, nice lobby and lobby bar.
We got a room waaay up that had a very nice view of the Mississippi Riv and the Huey Long Bridge.

Funny story: We checked in, go up to the room and while I'm cheking out the great view I hear Mrs Kal open a dresser to start unpacking.
I could hear something roll across the drawer, hitting the front of it.

She goes "Oh Look" and holds up a small, pink, how can we say this in mixed company, "A Mr. Buzzy"
I told her "ARRGHHH Put it down!!!"

We called the front desk and told them what we had found. They sent a Mgr up right away w/ a towel to give Mr Buzzy a proper disposal.
We both had very big grins on our faces.

I told him that this was our 3rd trip to NOLA and thought maybe it was some tradition we never heard of.

Or we thought it was a new, progressive Gideon thing?

So, check your drawers!
Only in NOLA!
Let the good times roll!
Kal
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

I'm so tickled to hear these great reviews!We have somke friends going too, so I'm so glad we've got us a deal!

Now-to find the good eats cheap!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:42 PM
Kal

Mona Lisa, Port o' Call, Mother's to name a few.
Oh and a few late night Lucky Dogs with "the works" as a preemptive strike on a hangover !!!!

Yep. $59 is a steal. Just let the hubby check the dresser!

When we stayed at the Marriott across the street, our friends found a really nice pair of Italian leather shoes under their bed.
I think he still has them!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:48 PM

Maybe the Gideons realized that no one is reading their bibles so they decided to switch to something more "interesting".
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:55 PM

I stayed here a few years ago for a convention--nice hotel and good location. You'll be able to easily walk to the French Quarter or catch the street car. Rooms are small, but that's just New Orleans for you.

For good food, try the restaurant on Canal Street called The Palace Cafe. Great food and if you go for lunch, you'll get quite a good deal (it's expensive but will be less so than dinner)! From what I understand, this is owned by some of the family from "Commander's Palace." Try the chocolate chip bread pudding for dessert--delicious!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:03 PM
Kal

J_Cor,
If done correctly, I guess it could make you see...Oh nevermind!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 03:38 PM

Here's another recommendation for the Palace Cafe! Don't go there your first day, or you'll be back over and over again until you've tried everything on the menu!