Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans: Which hotel? Ritz, Hilton, Sheraton, Omni, Fairmont, Omni, Hyatt, Wyndham, Marriott

New Orleans: Which hotel? Ritz, Hilton, Sheraton, Omni, Fairmont, Omni, Hyatt, Wyndham, Marriott

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are using our AMEX points for a long weekend- we need to be walking to distance to everything! Love to stay right in french quarter or within blocks. Which one is the best?
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

W hotels are also on the list...
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:15 AM
hsv

I stayed at the JW Marriott when it still was a Le Meridien property and enjoyed the hotel as well as its location on Canal right opposite the French Quarter, so I guess I would recommend it because I don't expect it to have deteriorated under the JW Marriott brand.

The Hyatt is the farthes from the FQ, I believe and could therefore be ruled out for your purposes.

The Fairmont is a bit closer, but it's still a few blocks, although it appears to be a gracious older hotel (haven't stayed there).

The Marriott on Canal opposite the JW Marriott formerly the Le Meridien, is huge and a bit generic, I would think.
The same goes for the Sheraton, which in turn is across the street from the Marriott and neighboring the JW Marriott.

Cannot comment on the other ones.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:46 AM
OO

Absolutely, rule out the Hyatt--much too far from everything.

I haven't been in the Ritz, but knew the building when it was a department store! It's a Ritz though...so should be pretty nice. It's on the edge of the quarter, an easy walk to everything. I know their GM...it's a very small world in this business.

I do know the Omni Royal Orleans...my DH started his hotel career there. It's a lovely, elegant hotel with a long history. Smallish rooms though, if spaciousness is important to you. It has a terrific location and probably would be my choice of those you've listed.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Have stayed at several of these:

the Hilton is about 5 blocks from the quarter - but is a large, pleasant hotel - nicer than most Hiltons.

the Marrioot is like every hotel at the side of the highway - very basic - do not reco it.

The JW is slightly better - but still noting to write home about.

The Ritz is pleasant - but not up to many of their other properties - and the location is not great - we were told several times by staff that leaving the hotel we should never walk to the right - because the neighborhood was very high crime. And there are guards on the street level entrances.

Cannot comment on the other choices.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Sorry - forgot the Fairmont.

Perhaps the farthest from the quarter - a high old-fashioned high rise hotel. Was there about 4 years ago and it was very masculine - everything brown and beige and few amenities for the female traveler (make-up mirror etc). Way too traditional for me.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:10 PM

OO is right (no big surprise) - the Omni Royal Orleans is the best of your choices.

If you can add another option, my husband and I love the Royal Sonesta. It's in a great location in the French Quarter and it just reeks of NO ambience.

Unless you're prepared to stay up until the wee hours of the morning, you'll want to get a room overlooking the pool/courtyard rather than Bourbon Street. Our favorite rooms are the inside corner ones...they're larger than the standard ones.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 09:12 PM

JW Marriott has been renovated and is a beautiful hotel with well appointed rooms.
We stayed there in July of 2004.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:02 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont last year. We really liked the hotel because it is an elegant older hotel with character. Some of the surrounding neighborhood is not so elegant. One night the fire alarms kept going off throughout the night due to some sort of malfunction. Management didn't really care about what an inconvenience that was to us. Other than that...it was a pleasure.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 01:24 PM

Omni Royal Orleans is a nice hotel right in the heart of the FQ. Rooms are small so be sure to request a king room (queens are tiny). Also, king rooms on 2nd and 4th floors have balconies ... recommend 2nd floor balcony on Royal St. There's also a nice outdoor roof top swimming pool if you're going during warmer weather.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 08:44 AM

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for... The Ritz is nice, though as mentioned perhaps not the best of the name. The Omni Royal Orleans is wonderful. The Fairmont is a beautiful hotel though most out of the way (other than the Hilton). I would recommend a walk through the lobby if you decide not to stay there.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:38 AM

I spent a week at the Hyatt in 2002, and enjoyed it a lot. Spouse was at a conference there so that's why the choice. They ran a free shuttle to the quarter every 15 or 30 minutes and that was great for us.

Doesn't sound like you can go wrong with ANY of your choices.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:41 AM

I stayed in the Marriott about a year ago and although it was pretty convenient, I thought the service (primarily front desk) was disappointing.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:25 AM

I stayed at the Wyndham a few years ago with some friends - a girlfriend's bachelorette weekend in New Orleans.

It was great - we were really spoiled - however, we may have gotten star treatment because one of my friend's friends (who attended, of course) was the daughter of the Hornet's head coach - who lived there with his family for the months it took them to find a permanent residence.

at any rate, it was in a good location - the edge of the French Quarter - and short morning stroll to the Cafe du Monde. (where we had chicory coffee and beignets several times). mmmmmmmmmmm getting hungry again!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:37 AM

What about the Monaco? Anyone stayed there. It looks gorgeous and I've stayed in a few in other cities- I think they have the best service. But how is it for walking to the FQ and otherwise getting around?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Have stayed omni and enjoyed it. Yes rooms are small, but hotel in good location & we loved the roof top pool a great place to relax, after a day of site seeing, before dinner.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:54 AM

I recommend the Omni Royal or the Royal Sonesta, king room with balcony for either, both in the Quarter. You should go to the Carousal bar at the Fairmont--I agree with NewOrleansLady--that hotel deserves a walk-through.

Now lets move on to what's really important, FOOD! ;-) Try: http://www.nola.com/dining/?/food/toptens.html for starters.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Another vote for the Royal Sonesta. It's charming, convenient, and beautiful.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 03:24 PM

I STRONGLY suggest you go to TripAdvisor and READ the reviews of all the hotels you mentioned INCLUDING the Ritz...you may be in for a surprise or two.