Search

NYC condo or b&b?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC condo or b&b?

My son lives in NYC now on Central Park West.
We want to spend 3 nights there in November when we are back East. He works during the day so we can see him in the evening and during the day do the usual sights, plays, etc.

We would prefer an inexpensive stay and are thinking in terms of condos or b&b (if there are such things).

Any ideas would be welcome...including what areas to look at.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 10:53 AM

What is in expensive? That is about the most expensive time of year in NYC.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:11 AM

Sleep on his couch.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

No room in his tiny apartment for us (he has a wife) too..inexpensive... $150...
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Renting private apts. for just 3 nights is fraught with problems. Don't do it. Milburnhotel.com is one of the cheapest options on the UWS, a suite hotel where rooms have small kitchen. The Belleclairehotel.com and the beaconhotel.com are other suite hotels in the area. The Excelsiorhotelny.com is sometimes affordable (and may be more so on a website like hotels.com or quikbook.com) There's a Comfort Inn Central Park West but their rooms are miniscule.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Inexpensive in Manhattan doesnt exist, especially from October until Xmas. Any decent hotel will be $300-400+ night. You might get lucky somewhere and find less but doubtful. Perhaps New Jersey where it will cost you back and forth into the city but hotel rates will be $100+ night cheaper.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 12:18 PM

You are out of luck. You'll be lucky to find a closet-sized room for $300.

Try Priceline.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Priceline won;t have inventory this time of year - the city is mobbed with europeans.

I think $150 at this time of year for Manhattan just really isn't an option. Apartment rentals will be illegal - and possibly fake.

The Newton on the upper west side has some less expensive rooms if you go for shared bath - but not $150.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

What great replies...!!...thanks...am looking into all of them.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Back again...I think Comfort Inn would be near my son...even tho it's small kitchen. Now my husband wants to make sure we have good access to theaters, museums. I am reassuring him that we can take a train or cab easily..am I wrong.

Thanks
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM

About the only place I can think of to get a room at that price is in Long Island City which is in Queens. The Comfort Inn there gets good reviews and looks like they have a room around $160 in Nov if you use AAA or an over 55 rate.

Long Island City is in Queens and the hotel is not in a nice looking area although according to reviews people feel safe there. The Comfort Inn is right my the subway and you can be in Manhattan in 10-15 minutes. This hotel is the type of place you would use only for sleeping as you would spend all your time in Manhattan. However if you did need to go back to your room to change, etc for the evening, it's a quick subway ride.

When I went into the Comfort Inn website, the Comfort Inn's in Manhattan were all running from $309 to $489 a night depending on location. The one on 71st Street/Central Park West did have a Senior Room, double $260, queen $278. Actually those are pretty good prices for Manhattan and you'd be close to your son. I just put in a couple of random Nov dates so your particular dates might be a little difference.

I did this research because I am thinking about going myself in Nov. I have friends to stay with but might get a hotel for a couple of nights just so I don't become an unwelcome guest.

Whatever you decide, book it right away because prices will only go up, up, up!
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:08 PM

The Comfort Inn doesn't have kitchens. That's the Milburn. You can't be near your son on the upper west side and be near theaters which are in midtown. That's what subways, buses and taxis are for. Don't know when you're planning to visit but travelzoo.com has some nice specials posted right now. The Westin and the Millenium Broadway are both in the theater district.

Between the Milburn and the Comfort Inn, I'd go for the Milburn as better value. It can't be that much further from your son.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Wow-McLaurie, those are some great specials on Travelzoo. I know the Millenium offers specials now and then but I don't think I've seen the Westin at that price during this time period.

Loisco-Don't know your exact dates in Nov but if you can take advantage of any of these specicals, book them now. You can see what a deal they are compared to the prices for the Comfort Inn's.

As far as being close to your son and the theaters, everything in Manhattan is relatively close. You can always take cabs but I am partial to the subways. There are several subways lines that will get your from the Upper West Side to Times Square in a matter of 10 minutes or less depending on where your son lives. I am sure your son can point you in the right direction but I would recommend using the 1 line to go back and forth. This is the seventh ave local line. There is also the 2 and 3 and the A and C which may have stops closer to your son's apartment but some of those lines are express and some don't stop everywhere late at night (as I have learned the hard way!!).

My college friend lives at 72nd Street and Central Park West so I am familiar with the area.