NYC: Best Area of NYC to stay in

Feb 19th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

NYC: Best Area of NYC to stay in

It's our first trip to NYC. We were thinking of staying in the Radio City Apartments in July, but there were no openings for the days we could go. What area of NYC would you recommend staying in? We need a relatively cheap, nice hotel for 5 people? Thanks!
Feb 19th, 2009, 12:18 PM

What is your budget?
Feb 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Right around $250 a night.
Feb 19th, 2009, 12:30 PM

Is that $250 a night for each of two rooms? Because you can't put 5 people in one room in NYC, so you would definitely need an apartment or suite.
Feb 19th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

We were thinking a suite would probably be best for us.
Feb 19th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Radio City Apartments is about the best of the budget places. And, as you can see, they fill up early. For 5 you will have to take a suite (fire laws won;t let you put 5 in a room). You can try the Affinia group, which have a bunch of different room configuratins in the moderate range or the Hotel Salisbury - also resonable.
Feb 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM

If those don't work out, try Murray Hill East Suites. You might have to call them directly to discuss accommodations for 5 people.
Feb 20th, 2009, 06:23 AM

Since your hotel options are limited for rooms for 5, the issue is not what is the best location, but which is the best hotel value for your budget and dates. All the suite hotels will have rooms for 5. Radio City apts. happens to be centrally located and is currently running a special on their website where you can get 20% off for a stay of 4 nights or more. Not sure what the cancellation policy is with this special or whether you have to prepay to get it. http://radiocityapartments.com/Speci...S/Default.aspx

The Embassy Suites is a much nicer hotel, includes full cooked breakfast in the price and has had specials on travelzoo.com for as little as $149/night, but not right now. You can probably find a room at your price if you prepay. It's not as centrally located as other options but in July, a nice place to be near the water and near the ferries.

There's currently a special on http://www.travel-ticker.com/Destination/New_York for the Affinia Manhattan which may be available for your dates. That's a suite hotel.

Nycsalisbury.com is another suite hotel in midtown that might work for you.

The Doubletree Guest Suites in Times Square will take 5 (esp. if some are kids) and can sometimes be affordable.
Feb 20th, 2009, 06:26 AM

Btw, if you're planning on coming at the beginning of July, near the 4th, there are usually good hotel sales. You might try to book something cancelable and see if that happens. You should also sign up for email specials from travelzoo.com and maybe the Affinia.com group which are all suites.
Feb 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Go to VRBO.com and check out apartments that are available for rent. You can get an equivalent price and won't be slammed with hotel taxes, which hammer visitors to NYC.

And be real careful about hotels. A NYC dump can cost $150.
Feb 20th, 2009, 09:19 AM

It is true that in NYC a dump can cost $150 - prics are different here for most everything.

But be very careful about renting apartments. Alsmost all are illegal and quite a few (esp on Craign's list) are outright scams. If you choose to rent you need to do a huge amout of checking up front to be sure it's legit - and you won;t find yourself on the street (type of building, type of security, local 24 hour phonen umbe for problems, ensure that you don;t have to lie about who you are, etc).. (There are some corporate apartment rental that are legitimate, but they wil usually be signifiantly above you price range.)
Feb 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM

Try Manhattan where we just were with taxes for $175 at Club Quarters Rockefeller Plaza booking via Travelocity. Great location, safe, clean and a super value.
Feb 21st, 2009, 05:44 AM

Club Quarters will not accomodate 5 in a room.
Feb 21st, 2009, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and advice! I looked at the Embassy Suites but every time I try to reserve a room, it only gives me the option of selecting 4 adults, even for a two bedroom suite.(We have two moms, and three girls, each 16 y.o.) Would I have to contact them by phone to reserve a room for 5 adults?
Feb 21st, 2009, 09:00 AM

I would call them and ask about the 2 double bed suite (many suites have one queen in the bedroom and one sofa bed - so fit only 4 people). They should be able to give you a price on that for 5 people (although I wouldn't want to be the one on the sofa bed).
Feb 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM

I stayed at Club Quarters in Midtown once and it was horrible. The first room they gave me had someone in it! The second reeked of cigarette smoke, had no bedspread on the bed and had a teensy window blocked by a window air conditioner. The third room was better but not by much. I suggest looking on Priceline. Your best location is midtown but away from Times Square. You may be able to find a reputable apartment through VRBO. Good luck!
Feb 21st, 2009, 01:31 PM

Please don't rent an apartment in NYC. Most are illegal or scams. VRBO is great for other areas but not NYC.
Read this from Trip Advisor NYC Forum:
tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1563270