Search

NYC Cab Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Cab Questions

My husband and I are taking a quick trip to NYC to see our daughter perform at a choir festival. We will be arriving on Saturday at 9:35 am at LGA. We're staying in midtown (51st and Lexington). We plan on taking a cab, and expect to pay about $40 + tip. Is this reasonable?

Our return trip is Monday morning, and the plan departs LGA at 10:25 am. How early do we need to leave for the airport, given traffic considerations? I was planning on 7:30 am -- am I on target?

Thanks for any help. I haven't been to NYC in 20 years, and didn't have to arrange my own transportation back then!
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 08:02 AM

On a Saturday am I would expect the fare to be less than that - unless they're doing work on the Triborough Bridge.

7:30 should be enough time - but use a car service - don;t go searching for a cab. Try Carmel or Dial 7. When you call them they'll be able to tell you if anything is going on (construction or accident or some official event) that means you need to leave earlier.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 08:45 AM

There is a cab stand at the far right of the American terminal where I have never waited for a cab more than the people in front of me. I have had to wait at the cab stand on the islands in front of the terminals.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the help! We're flying on Delta, which is quite a distance from the American terminal, I think. Will cabs be a problem at Delta on a Saturday morning, or would it be worth it to use the car service both ways? I see that Dial 7 has the option for online reservations.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM

All of the terminals have cab lines - and on Saturday am I'd be surprised if you wait more than 3 or 4 minutes.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 06:54 PM

What everyone has told you about cabs into the city on a Saturday is accurate. But tell your cab driver NOT to use the Triborough Bridge, which will add a minimum of $10 to your fare. If you take the Queensboro Bridge, you will not only arrive faster but not have to pay a $4.50 toll. You are allowed to specify which route to take.

But I honestly don't think you need to leave at 7:30 to get a 10:25am flight for the return. Assuming for this short trip you have just hand luggage, you can check in on line the night before and leave for the airport about 8:30, giving yourself more than enough time. If you are concerned, then leave at 8. I guess if you have to check a bag, then leave at 7:30.

I do tend to agree that a car service going back is a better deal than a cab (because you can get caught in midtown traffic). You can easily arrange this on your day or arrival. It should not take more than an hour, even if traffic is hideous.

Have fun at the choir festival.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM

For the arrival, I'm guessing $35, with tip (15%), using the Queensborough Bridge.