Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are some car/shuttle services in NYC that can pick me up from JFK airport...

Search

What are some car/shuttle services in NYC that can pick me up from JFK airport...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and how long is the trip to Hudson show piers from there? Thanks!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:32 AM

Carmel (carmellimo.com) and Tel Aviv (telavivlimo.com) are the 2 most widely used ones and charge prices similar to a taxi. The lowest prices don't include "meet and greet"--they ask you to phone when you've got your bags and they arrive at the terminal within 5-15 mins. If you want to be met inside, there's an extra fee.

There are dozens of more upscale cos. with nicer cars. Bermuda and Crown are 2 well known ones.

A taxi is another option and there's a fixed price of $45 (plus toll of $4.50) plus tip or about $60-65. A lot depends on time of day and day of week but the trip should take about an hour or so.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:28 AM

If you're looking for bus shuttle services just check the JFK web site for transportation. There are a variety - some to central points from which you then take a cab or subway - or some that go directly to your hotel (but may make a bunch of other stops first).
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:13 AM

If you are heading to the dock area, the easiest transportation would be to take a cab. None of the shuttle services would go to the piers.

There are cab stands just outside the terminal and that way you just walk outside and get in the cab line, which is not usually that long, again depending on the time of day.

As an earlier posted mentioned the fare is a flat rate plus toll and tips.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Carmel Limo, as suggested earlier, can be booked in advance throught their website. If you decide to use it, make sure you print out the JFK-Manhattan coupon ($4.00 off the $40 dollar price) and write-in the code 3-digit code that comes with the online booking.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:01 AM

It is better to just take a taxi. There are usually plenty unless it's the end of a holiday weekend. In my experience with car services, they make you pay extra if they have to wait (i.e. if your flight is delayed or while you wait for your luggage). Also they are not parked right outside, instead you must schlep all the way to the parking garage.

Even when I travel on business, I always prefer to take a cab home (where I must pay then get reimbursed) than to use the car service my co. has an account with.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:20 AM

But in JFK, and other NY Metroplolitan airports, companies like Carmel Limo and Tel Aviv will meet you outside (passenger pick-up points, or taxi stands right outside the arrival terminal) for the same amount as a cab.

Plus, these are air-conditioned , comfortably appointed (not necessarily new) cars. NYC cabs are almost always dirty and smelly and are without air-conditioning - and this is a necessity, at least during late spring up to early fall in NYC.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:33 PM

NYC cabs must now all have a/c and must use it if you ask for it.