NYC Best way from Newark (EWR) to Midtown

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Best way from Newark (EWR) to Midtown

We will fly into Newark in at about 2.00pm on a friday. We need to get to our hotel in Midtown. What is the best way? Airtrain? Taxi? Supershuttle? There are two of us travelling and we will have three bags. Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 01:21 PM

What does best mean to you? Quickest? Cheapest? Most comfortable? Most convenient? No one method is likely to be the bst in every way.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 01:45 PM

The quickest would be to use Airtrain but with 3 bags it could be a bit of a hall as you will be doing some walking to get to the airtrain. Check this website for info on Airtrain - http://www.airtrainnewark.com/airtrainnewark/
The most inexpensive of the three would be using Supershuttle. Timing is hit and miss as it all depends on who is riding and who gets dropped off first etc. Taxi is in the middle a bit more than supershuttle but traffic would be your only concern and you don't have to worry about having to drag your luggage around and you get door to door service
Enjoy the Big Apple!!
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 01:56 PM
GoTravel

Least hassle, cab.

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Getting to midtown from the various airports is a "horse that has been beaten to death" in these forums.

Enter these two words in the search, and you'll find more opinions than you ever wanted to know: ewr manhattan
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 02:46 PM
GoTravel

rb, that is so funny and true! I guess this subject does come up about once a week.

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Pre-pay for your cab (taxi) to be waiting for you. Any other way would be a death sentence. Coming into NY on a friday at 2:00pm can be hectic. You are approaching rush hour. But to keep you calm make sure your cab is there at the airport before you. Call now and reserve. Check yellow pages online for listings.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:35 AM

I think the best solution for 2 people with luggage is just to grab a cab. IMHO getting a car service is just more trouble than its worth. When I travel for businees they always try to talk me into a car service for the "convenience". But by the time you find the driver (who never seems to be waiting at the right carousel) and he goes and get the car from the parking lot (or makes you trek all the way to where he's parked the car) and then waits to pay and finds his way back to the ring road you would be half way to Manhattan in a regular cab.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:03 PM

With baggage I think the shuttle is the easiest and will be the cheapest probably. The Air Train will take you to Penn Station for $23. Then you'll need a cab. Cab fare will be $45 plus tolls and tip I think. Plus possible traffic tieups. Shuttle will be $30 door to door. They leave often.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 04:56 PM
GoTravel

Pre-pay the cab? Kim what on earth are you talking about?

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:02 AM

To Gotravel which part of Pre-pay did you not understand. Lets not make this into a free for all its a suggestion to help out Partyon. Ive been in NY all my life and yes Ive had a pre-paid car waiting for me at the airport. Good Luck Partyon.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:12 AM

I did the pre-pay cab thing for my boss' family last week.

Basically you call one of the car services, (Carmel, Tel Aviv, etc.) and pay with a credit card over the phone when you make the reservation. Thus, it's pre-paid.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:08 PM
GoTravel

Kim, lighten up. You said pre-paid cab not pre paid car. I always pre pay my car and have never pre-paid a cab so obviously, I didn't understand any of it.

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:44 PM

No! YOU lighten up! Its a cab or a car. As long Partyon understands then obviously thats all that matters. Missjanna gave example for such. Thanks Missjanna for your input.