Search

NYC Bachelorette

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Bachelorette

I'm sure this is not an original question, but I'm planning a bachelorette party for one of my best friends this summer. We are meeting up in New York, and will need a good, not too expensive hotel for about 10 of us. Someone on this site recommended the Gorham, but it looks like it's closed.
Any thoughts also for a good place to eat. Something with atmosphere but not too too cheesy. Also thinking of a bar crawl/scavenger hunt kind of thing, so any recommended stops would be very helpful.
Thank you!!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:02 AM

The Gorham is supposed to re-open May 1 as the Blakely. They have some "specials" running may 1 - mid September. You might wait and try to find deals on hotres.com or quickbook.com. I am one who highly reccommended the Gorham.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:28 AM

There are hundreds of great dining options for your bachelorette party -- what type of food/budget/atmosphere are you interested in? You might want to start with a few websites -- Citysearch, Shecky's, Zagat's.

Also, about a million different bar crawls are possible -- are you looking for pubs/bars, lounges, clubs? Beer places or fancy cocktails? Shecky's is a great resource -- www.sheckys.com

Provide me with some more info and I'll help you out.

In terms of a scavenger hunt, I can thing of a few possibilities -- something specific within the Museum of Sex, for example. The Romeo & Juliet statue in Central Park. Katz's Deli (where Meg Ryan "performed" in When Harry Met Sally).

One more question -- what age is your group?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:44 AM

We dragged my cousin to Lucky Chengs for her bachelorette party. Mainly drag queens are your servers, and they do various shows during dinner, including lap dances on some of the patrons. (We found it all to be tiring after about 30 minutes of it, however.) Ran about $200 total for 4 of us.

As for bars, you have Hogs N Heifers, of the "celebrity tossed their bra on the moose" fame, Red Rock West, another similar bar where you can dance on top of the bar, and also popular with Bachelorette parties, (the female bartenders are known to abuse the men in funny ways.) and Coyote Ugly, of the movie fame, although all 3 of these bars are identical in music played, dancing on the bar, and popular with tourists and bachelor and bachelorette parties.

Also check Time Out NY for ideas. They have a website and a weekly guide.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the help! I'll take a look at the Blakely.
We are all in our late 20's, everyone likes to go out - We've had a blast before in the diviest bars as well as sort of swanky places. As for dinner, probably less expensive would be better than more, since we'll be paying for hotel and some people will have to travel from pretty far away. At the same time, I'd be willing to pay up a bit for a really fun place. I love the scavenger hunt ideas too. Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Just an FYI, the Gorham wasn't a large hotel. It's a small, botique hotel with a small lobby. I'm assuming the Blakely will be similar. If you want a larger hotel with lots of amenities, it probably isn't for you. Tho the info on the Blakeley does show more amenities than the Gorham.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:32 AM

If you have two available nights for partying, I'd suggest a dressed-down dive bar night & a swanky cocktail circuit night.

For the dive bar fest, you could start with dinner at Esperanto (Nuevo Latino), Sunburnt Cow (Australian) or Zum Schneider (German), all on Avenue C in the East Village. From there proceed to 7B on Avenue B, then to Hi-Fi on Avenue A, then trek west on St. Mark's Place where you'll encounter any number of dive bars (including Bull McCabe's). Swing around to McSorley's on 7th Street and help celebrate its 150th birthday.

For the cocktail circuit, start at the bar on the roof of the Peninsula Hotel, then head downtown to any number of places after dinner at Hue or Suba.

So many options!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I just got a chance to look at this again and these are great ideas. Much appreciated!!