Search

NYC and then where?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC and then where?

We're still trying to figure out where to go for Easter break and now that Xmas is over we need to be getting booked.
My 13 year old daughter would love to go to NYC. Thought maybe we could do 4 days in NYC and then maybe experience the "country." Any ideas for a "country" spot that would be convenient to NYC and fun for a family in April.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:59 PM
GoTravel

If you've never been to NYC, spend the entire week there. I've been a zillion times and still can't tired of things.

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 08:50 PM

I agree, forget the country, you can see that anywhere. You should come to NYC to experience the city. If you want to take a day trip or overnight trip, I would say take the train to Philly. But if you really, really want to head for the hills, try somewhere nearby like Bear Mountain where you can hike up to the top and enjoy the view.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:38 AM

About two hours north of NYC is wonderful countryside. Drive through the Catskill Mountains and the Hudson Valley. There are many wonderful towns on both sides of the Hudson River.

If you head up the east side of the Hudson, there are wonderful mansions to tour: FDR home, Vanderbilt mansion, Mills mansion, Olana.

If you head up the west side of the Hudson, you can head into the Catskill Mountains and visit small hamlets such as Woodstock.

Some websites to help you:

www.hudsonvalley.org
www.hvnet.com
www.catskillguide.com (has hiking info)
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 05:23 AM

I agree on staying the whole time in NYC... My 13 year old absolutely loved NYC this past summer and didn't find 3 days nearly enough. Want's to go back this summer. AND wants to go to college there as well!

However, if you MUST, how about just a day or two away from NYC with a day at a spa?