NYC airports luggage's burglars

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine went to NYC where she did the usual tourist path: museums, theatres, shopping etc. Afterwards she flew to Boston .She checked the bag and brought a carry on.

Back in Boston, as soon as she rearranged her packing to get back to Europe, she realized that some of her purchases were missing .Some of them very expensive (shoes, dresses etc).

Oblivious she could not carry everything in her carry on. Therefore, most of the purchases had to be on hold and since bags have to be checked in open that was the problem.

I’m going to NYC soon and I intend to do some shopping too but I don’t want to come back without my goods. Is it this a common feature with some airlines or airports or is this a lottery?

Before you come slapping me with the usual:” This can happen in any airport in the world “I’ll say no.
Because we are NOT REQUIRED to check our luggage open.

Thank you

Old Mar 29th, 2008, 09:04 PM

hmm, your first post.

this can and does happen at any airport.

whenever i check in my luggage, i'll stay until they're done with the x-ray search and ziptie before they throw it on the belt to go bah-bye.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 09:56 PM

This isn't all that common but if you want to be sure it doesn't happen, why not ship your purchases home?
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 10:37 PM

From my experience, if something is taken from a checked bag, it is done in the "back" of the airport. Meaning it's an airport employee not the folks standing around the check in counter and/or security.

With that in mind, I don't think the "checked in open" has anything to do with the theft. It would have happened regardless.

As Kauai_aka says, staying with the bag until the search is done prevents any problems that could occur during an open check. Checking the luggage lock rules for the regions you're traveling to and from could provide additional protection. After going through the security check, put the lock on the bag. It won't completely remove the risk, but it will reduce it.

I do a lot of shopping on my trips, but I try to remember certain things while shopping:

1. Buy small items that I can easily fit in my carry on such as jewelry, etc.

2. Put all unnecessary items, such as toiletries, for the trip home in my checked luggage so I have more room for my purchases (this means making sure I have room to spare in my checked bag on the trip to my destination).

3. If I'm going to do heavy duty shopping, have it shipped home rather than putting it in my checked bags. To account for the stores that don't offer shipping, plan for a morning at the end of your stay for packaging and shipping those items.

4. If I do put purchases in my checked luggage, I only put non-breakable, inexpensive items. I also remove the tags from the items and put the tags in my wallet with a description of the items. New and unworn clothing is more desirable for thieves, so removing the tags reduces the risk (you can make more money selling designer clothing with the tags, etc.).
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 01:48 AM

I don't know if all airport security procedures are identical in all airports since the configurations of the screening areas aren't built identical. If bags are inspected in the back room out of sight, you have no control over that and should avoid putting valuables inside. At least with carryons you can make sure it never leaves your side, except when going through security.

In Honolulu recently a passenger got a laptop stolen while they were going through security. Someone grabbed the laptop off the converyor belt and walked off before the owner could get through the security. They had a description of the lady and the possible flights she was on, but not sure if they ever found her or the computer.

Another way these scammers work is in pairs. One person gets past security, then the second person moves very slow, pretends to take a long time somehow, loads him or herself down with metal jewelry, coins, forgets to remove the cell phone, or something to set the machine off, which holds back the line of people. In the meantime, the carryons are going through on the converyor belt and are already on the other side. This allows the first scam artist time to pick up the bags and walk off. This was shown on a tv show years ago and maybe now security have learned to just pull that person aside so the line doesn't get held up.

I think on a recent post here someone mentioned that their carryon got stolen while they went to the restroom in mid flight.

Maybe one way to avoid stealing is removing the boxes and shopping bags advertising the expensive name brands and putting the items in less conspicuous wrap.

So yes, I think it can happen in any airport, even on the airplanes.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses.
Unfortunately, shipping is not an option for me. It would be very expensive, as I would have to deal with customs. I forgot to mention that I am coming back to Europe.
Toedtoes, it seems that heavy shoppers like us use the same packing methods

Let’s hope for the best!
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 08:05 AM

Get the plastic ties. It will deter the opportunistic thief. If security opens your bag--and not all bags are opened--they should be leaving a note in the bag to indicate that. They also should be replacing your plastic tie, but do not always do it.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 09:28 AM

One thing you can do to avoid someone stealing your personal objects after they've been sent through the screener is not to let them go until you're ready to walk through.

I hold all of my stuff, carry-on, cpmputer bag, separate computer and box with shoes and coat right next to me. I don;t put them on the conveyer belt until it's clear for me to walk through the scanner. That way I get there at a minimum at the same time as my first bag.

It may take a little longer, but it's much safer.

If the screener objects, send your shoes and coat through first - there's little chance anyone will try to steal those.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 09:37 AM

Cable ties are good. You can also use them to tie items in your luggage to the framing. That way security can see the item, but can't remove it from the suitcase. If I were ever in a situation where I had to check something of value (heavens forbid my camera gear), I would have every piece tied to the suitcase. If it does get stolen, you can be sure it didn't happen by a passerby but rather someone who was left alone with the luggage.

Maybe it's the airport I use or times I fly, but I don't think my carry on gear has EVER made it through security before I got through the metal detector. I've always waited for it to get through.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:25 AM

I wanted to add this to this thread, there was story on the news just 2 days ago here in Phoenix Az. saying they had busted a ring of baggage handlers stealing from luggage after it was checked. The story had said they were stealing anything of value to resell for cash. They would sell things like digital or video cameras for $10 each just for drug money. The had stolen thousand of dollars of merchandise in just the last few months. Kinda sounds to me like someone isnt watching the handlers very well.

I think the idea of zip tying your valuables to the frame of the bag is a fantastic idea. I am bringing zip ties with me this Sunday when i go to NYC.

Good luck, mscmkr
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 04:15 AM

JFk Airport has shrink-wrap machines in several terminals. I have used these with no problem, so you might consider if you are that worried. I don't know about luggage being required to be left open; I always lock mine with TSA locks and sometimes use shrink-wrap as double protection.