Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC - 2 weekend days in mid-April with kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting NYC (after 11 years; this time with 5 year old twins, their 1st visit) in mid-april for a Friday & Saturday.

Please suggest how to make best use of time and what all to plan?

Also is Statue of Liberty better accessed from NJ side ferry? Any experience, pros/cons?
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM

I would take the Staten Island ferry past the Statue rather than go to the island itself. It is not worth the time.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM

How to best use yor time depends on what you want to do and see. Some things are better weekdays (that Friday) some on weekends (Saturday)So, what would you like to do??

As far as the Statue of Liberty, I wouldn't go as far as Aduchamp1 and say "its not worth the time" without knowing how important it might be to you. But, if it's just the view of the Statue itself you're after, I wholeheartedly agree that you can have a great view for much less money and time by taking the Staten Island Ferry!
Getting to Liberty Island is a hassle these days, and you still can't climb the statue itself. Ellis Island can be very worthwhile, but is probably wasted on 5 year olds. And when you're stuck on an island with nothing "fun" to do...
Access from New Jersey really only makes sense if you're in New Jersey.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 03:26 PM

Agree not to bother going to the Statue - it will take most of the day - and 5 year olds are a little young to appreciate it. You can explain it - and they can get decent views - from the Staten Island ferry.

I would suggest doing the Museum of Natural History on Friday versus Sat, since it will be less crowded. That's assuming weather is equal both days - but mid April can be beautiful or still chilly.

Besides those two I wold definitely do Central Park - including the zoo and kids zoo - and perhaps rent a boat on the lake.

They would probably also like to see the views from Top of the Rock if the weather is good.

And they might enjoy Ellen's Stardust diner - typical diner food that just OK (but they'll be happy) and the singing wait staff is a lot of fun.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 05:47 PM

I second the Museum of Natural History, but Fri can be just as crowded with school groups. If you go and the weather is nice and your kids want to run around after the museum, try the playground diagonally across in Central Park.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Museum of Natural History (see A Night at the Museum first), Central Park is a great place for the kids to blow off steam, taxi rides, subway ride, Staten Island ferry by the Statue of Liberty are all good ideas.

See our Kid-Friendly Guide to New York City for more highlights and a wiki map (feel free to add stuff Fodorites)
familyroadtrippers.blogspot.com/2007/04/kid-city-guide-to-new-york-city.html

Great time of year to visit,
Dan
www.familyroadtrippers.com
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 07:15 PM

Here's some of the kid-friendly things that my kids enjoyed when they were in NYC.
Mid town : Nintendo World in Rockefeller Center, ferris wheel rides inside the Toys 'R' Us store in Times Square.
Uptown: Dylan's Candy Bar store, Central Park, Museum of Natural History. Have them watch the movie (Night at the Museum) before you go on your trip.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions.

If the weather cooperates, Central Park will be our prime attraction. Especially since my daughter saw the movie ‘Enchanted” (She thinks she might see Giselle there; can’t blame her, this trip coming after a trip to Disney world where she got to see lots of characters). NH Museum, FAO Schwarz and Toys R Us come next in order of priority.

Hotdogs from street vendors, subway and taxi rides are must. Anybody know if they still sell Trinidad’s food from back of a truck down near Water Street on weekdays for lunch? I myself am craving for that.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:29 PM

Rather than hot dogs from street vendors, strongly suggest Gray's Papaya (nearish Mus. of Nat. Hist.)

Don't forget the carousel in Central Park and the zoo.