Lower east side tenament museum or Ellis Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which do you think 2 11 year old girls would rather go to.

Melissa
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Kal

You have relatives go thru Ellis or are the kids interested in Amer History? If so, Ellis.

We've been to Ellis. They did a great job refurbishing it.

We have the other one on our "to do list" for a May visit if time allows.
Kal
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:49 PM

I haven't been to the tenement museum, but it is on my list - I'm actually going to New Jersey in a couple weeks and am trying to fit in a day trip to Manhattan - this museum is high on my list of things to see.

I went to Ellis Island several years ago and it was really great. There were tons of exhibits and I think the kids would find it interesting, esspecially if you prepare them a bit ahead of time so that they have a sense of time and place when they get there if they haven't already studied 19th century immigration in school. My cousin was with us and he was 9 or 10 and he had a good time. Even if they don't love the museum, the boat ride out there should be a hit. The views of Manhattan were terrific. Our tour included the Statue of Liberty as well. Definitely a highlight of that trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Definitely Ellis Island. It's a double header--the boat ride and the fascinating displays at Ellis Island.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:06 PM

I don't know??? 11 year olds might be bored at Ellis Island. I thought the Tenament tour excellent. The guides provide great commentary that might hold their interest more?? The movie is worthwhile for an introduction.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:09 PM

I think Ellis Island is far more fascinating - it speaks to all the immigrants who came into the US - not just those who ended up in a tenement in NYC - and this is far more universal.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:12 PM
emd

My son was 10 when I took him to Ellis Island and he was fascinated. My mother came into the U.S. through there, so perhaps that had something to do w/it, knowing she had been in those very halls. The audio tape tour was great, walking through each area dn hearing waht it was used for and some of the actual people talking on the tape about what it was like. We were both really into it together by the end of the audio tour.
I have not been to the tenament museum but am thinking of a trip w/my now-11 yr old daughter to go there as well, based on the comments here.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:27 PM

I've done both, and while I was fascinated reading and reading all that stuff at Ellis Island, I strongly suspect that the girls you mention would enjoy the tenement museum more. It is so real and "touchable" and brings the whole story more close to reality than the museum at Ellis Island. On the other hand, how could you not enjoy the ride out there past the Statue of Liberty? Unless you can add that in on a free round trip on the Staten Island ferry.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:06 PM
mp

As a NYC parent of a 10 year old who's been to both - both are great . . . the tenement museum and subsequent walk around the neighborhood (with it's many shopping opportunities and wonderful restaurants) can be very fun - as are the boat rides and fascinating stories told on Ellis Island.
Are there any family connections to either place? Or a particular literary experience (book or play)or school experience that might tip the balance toward one or the other? Have they "done immigration" in school yet?
If you decide on the Tenement Museum, I can heartily recommend the Confino family apartment tour- it 's a real eye-opener for kids about how most of our ancestors lived - and it tells the stories in a very kid friendly, accessible way . . . they will love whatever you choose . . .
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:24 AM

another vote for both...I think the two
are undissociables...
First Ellis to keep the atmosphere of the landing(hope and fear...) and then the tenement to keep in mind that landing was only the beginning for many of a difficult life before a real new
life...
Erik.