NY with baby

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:24 AM
njs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY with baby

We have a 4 month old and some visitors at home.

We want to take them for a Newyork city visit. They want to go up the Empire State building and take the ride. Apart from that they want to see Rockofeller center/cathedral etc.

We will be driving to NY from NJ and
since the baby is so young and weather is pretty cold, we were thinking that I should stay in the car with the baby in a parking lot while the others visit.

My questions are
1. Which parking lot should I park and how should the visitors I have go about visiting the sites they want to see.

2. What else in NewYork city is interesting?
They have already been to Liberty and their primary interests are architecture and taking photographs.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:32 AM

You & the baby should definitely stay home.

Most Manhattan parking lots, at least the ones reasonably close to anything, are not "self-park" and do not allow you to stay in the car (and why would you want to for many hours?).

Your visitors can start at the Empire State Building and walk north on 5th Avenue (or they can skip the ESB and get a better view from the Top of the Rock). Along 5th Ave they'll see Rock Center, St. Patrick's, many of the famous retail stores, Trump Plaza, etc.

Your visitors will spend several hours exploring that part of midtown. You & the little one should stay home.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:33 AM

If you're going to stay in the car, why not just stay home and send your visitiors into the city? Otherwise, I would bundle up the baby and go.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Garages won't let you stay in the car. You don;t pakl the car - they do - nose to tail with a pack of others (they often have to get in and out through the windows the cars are so close together) - and you could easily be on another floor of the garage or in a sub-basement. A horrible place to spend hours.

I think a 4 month old is simply too young for such a long trip in bad weather. Stay home with baby - who will be much happier - and let the othrs tour without you. Or - get a sitter and go with them.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Oh - also - the garages aren't heated. (The attendants wear coats inside in the winter.) So you would have to run the engine the whole time to stay warm - which I KNOW they won;t allow.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:17 AM

I know you want to be with your visitors; I remember those days all too well when our children were very young. You need to stay home and protect your baby from the cold and germs, especially at this age. He will be grown in the blink of an eye and you won't be sorry for the sacrifices you made for his health and your peace of mind. Plan a special night at your house while the visitors are there - get your husband to pick up pizzas, Chinese, whatever..you can relax and enjoy your company in a comfortable setting!