New York in January?

Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

New York in January?

The last time I was in New York was 14 years ago!

Now Im 29, married and planning to take my wife there(her first trip to NYC) for our 5th wedding anniversary(she chose NYC)..

Can anyone of our fine NYC forumers tell me
1. places that sell good clothes at bargain prices? Like a factory outlet?

2.realistically, should we rent a car?

3.if we dont rent a car, whats the best way to get into Manhattan?

4.Good food for under $20 per person?

5. How cold does it get in January?

Im so excited, the city looks so different now....cant wait!

Thanks,
Fodorite in Sacramento.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:58 PM

There's a lot of recent threads with much of this info.
As for clothes, go to Century 21 downtown near WTC site. Also, Daffy's for women's clothes (a couple of locations).
Do not need a car if you're going to be in the city. Best way to get into Manhattan from where?
Good food for $20--many, many places, depending on where you are and what you want--you need to be more specific. Can get great Chinese food in Chinatown for very little money. But you need to be more specific, and will get more help.
As to weather, no way to predict. We've had really cold spells in January, and sometimes not so bad.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

sorry for being so vague..
Ive heard from a couple of people about Century 21, since youre the 3rd person to mention that place 1st-we are definitely going there(Thanks)

1.we are coming in from JFK( on JetBlue)so I dont know how much of a hassle renting a car would be(arrive thursday around 7AM)

2. As far as food goes, we want something that we probably wont find in Sacramento*smiles* maybe something ethnic or in chinatown as you suggested. How about italian?

3. Would a trenchcoat be enough to keep warm?

Thanks.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:16 PM

Don't rent a car. You can take a taxi from JFK--flat rate into Manhattan is $35. Also, the new AirTrain is supposed to be working some time this month. Can take the "monorail" type train to either the subway or Long Island Rail Road in Jamaica, then a train into the city. If you have luggage, this may be more of a hassle than it's worth, so I'd go with the cab.
Just go to Chinatown, and pick a restaurant. Also, you can go to Little Italy, just north of Chinatown (get a map when you get here, and also a subway map==easiest way to get around. go to transit authority website and look at subway map--www.mta.nyc.ny.us)
There are also many Italian restaurants throughout the city--where are you staying? I'll give you some reco's near there.
As for trenchcoat--maybe, maybe not. Bring layers--sweaters, heavy jacket, and check weather reports just before you come to see what weather is like. If you're going to be outside doing a lot of sightseeing and tour bus type things, should bring warm clothes, scarf, earmuffs, gloves, just to be safe.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 09:59 PM

Definitely not a trenchcoat- it can be freezing here. January and February are usually the coldest months and it can snow. Today it was around 30 and snowed a little- and very windy with icy air blowing in from the great lakes. New York is a great city for walking so bring lots of warm clothes- especially a hat and warm gloves. I'm also 29 and while I drive in the city, I can't imagine renting a car for Manhattan. The best way to see NY is probably to divide it into sections- you can start in lower manhattan- walk over the brooklyn bridge (at least into manhattan), through city hall park, you'll be near century 21, the south street seaport (mall type stores), a small ice rink in the winter. The ferry to the statue of liberty is nearby at the tip of manhattan near battery park/wall street. Ground Zero of course is also nearby. The winter garden in the world financial center is opened and is across the street. It is filled with newly planted palm trees to replace the ones that died on and after september 11th.
moving north(ish) there is Chinatown, soho- galleries, boutiques, some chains- the village (west village- "quaint" cobblestone streets, beautiful brownstones... greenwich village around washington square park... and the east village)
Midtown (around 34th st)- The empire state building and Times Square.
Rockefeller Center (more ice skating), and a huge banana republic that usually has good sale stuff.
Walking up 5th avenue- all the department stores, rockefeller center until you reach central park at 59th.
Central Park is the best part of the city-- wander-- the metropolitan museum of art is just off the park on 5th around 8oth street. Madison avenue is great window shopping again.
I wouldn't look to new york for bargain shopping- there are factory outlets at woodbury commons which is probably an hour away by bus/car- but don't you have them at home? Century 21 is probably worth it though.
Dec 3rd, 2003, 03:46 AM

I agree, use taxis or other public transport rather than renting a car.

To keep warm, buy a layer or fleece (preferably midweithg Polarfleece) to put under the trench coat, and also for your head and hands. Wear your warmest footgear, preferably waterproof. and warm socks and you'll be OK.
Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:51 AM

Some more inexpensive food ideas:

1. pizza -- slices are cheap and easy to find
2. delis -- ditto
3. 6th street in the East Village. Cheap Indian food. Most of the restaurants are the same.
4. diners -- plentiful breakfasts, sandwiches. See caveat below.

Avoid: most restaurants around Times Square, especially those that look like diners. They will waaay overcharge you.

DO NOT rent a car. You will have nowhere to park it! Take a taxi or bus service in from JFK -- it's easy. Just walk downstairs to ground transportation and get on the taxi stand line (do not accept a ride from those guys walking around asking if you need a taxi -- only take a yellow cab from the taxi stand line) or investigate the bus service options at the ground transportation booth.

Have fun!
Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:52 AM

Sorry -- I forgot to mention two other cheap shopping opportunities in midtown. H&M is a British department store with inexpensive, trendy clothing. It's at 5th Ave and 51st or so. Mexx is a new, inexpensive and trendy clothing store nearby at 5th and 52nd. Similar, slightly more expensive.
Dec 3rd, 2003, 12:28 PM
GoTravel

More reasons not to rent a car;

NYC has the highest car rental prices on the planet.

Parking without in/out (they will bury your car and it costs extra to have them dig it out) starts at $35-$50 per day.

Valet is contracted out by the hotels so if your rental is dinged, scratched, stolen, etc, the hotel is not responsible.

Parking will be impossible to find for what ever shop, restaurant, attraction you are late for.

Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:49 PM

I Know someone mentioned it but definately go to H & M. It is really cool and the prices are great!! Also for italian and pretty inexpensive check out Patsy's. There are a few of them one on the upper west side in about the 70's. Good food lots of action and and they don't rush you. They make a pasta with ssausage and white beans that is pretty good and the pizza is excellant!
Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:03 PM

Hi again-- There is another H&M on 34th street between 5th and 6th avenue (just across the street from the empire state building).
Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:35 PM

Be careful of that recommendation for Patsy's. I'm sure the suggestion is for the Patsy's Pizzeria chain. The restaurant called Patsy's which is on 56th is quite well known -- but very expensive.

One of my favorite "new" cheap food places is Ollie's Noodle Shop. There are several of these, one just off Broadway on 44th. My favorite is a giant bowl of "Little Bit of Everything Soup" which is wonderful flavorful broth full of noodles, pork, shrimp, vegetables -- you name it. Really great and something like $7.95 with free good hot tea, a great and full meal!!!
Dec 7th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

thanks to everyone for all the very helpful advice....this is awesome.