Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tampa Weather According to People Who Have Relocated There???

Dec 4th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Can some of you who have moved to Tampa from other (probably cooler) areas give me your impressions of the Tampa weather? I know what the average temperatures are, but I am hoping to here from some residents. I have lived in NW Florida, Atlanta, and DC. I like warm weather, but can tire of the heat. Does the heat get old in Tampa?
Dec 4th, 2003, 09:08 AM

I relocated almost 30 years ago even further south -- to Naples. We have even less variance or relief from the heat down here, as our winter temps are significantly higher than Tampa. But I'm not sure what kind of answers you can get here. Of course, many will tell you it's the humidity not the heat. But while the heat will get old to some, others will thrive on it. It seems if you've looked at the average timperatures in Tampa, and you've lived in the places you mentioned, you should be more qualified to answer this one for yourself than anyone else.
One thing I've noticed, though. I've been in the heat of summer in both D.C. and Atlanta, when at night it was still suffocatingly hot and humid. Normally, you are more likely to get a little cooling off in the evenings in Tampa, thanks to the water.
Dec 4th, 2003, 10:42 AM

It's just hot. It's miserable hot, and it's sticky hot, and no, during June through August, there is absolutely no cooling down from the water. The water does keep the high temps down in the daytime, though. It will be 98 degrees inland, and only 92 around the bay. The water also keeps the humidity up around 90% at night. The low temps in the summer are in the mid 70's, there have been many nights where the current temperature during the 11 o'clock news is still in the mid 80's. From May through September and sometimes through October, it's terribly hot. November through March almost makes up for it, though.
Dec 4th, 2003, 03:56 PM
LN

Washington DC has its own HIGH humidity and those of us who have lived there know it well. I also live just below Tampa and find that to be hot in the summer as Patrick says but not really more humid than DC. When there are gulf breezes its more pleasant and when it's still it's even hotter.

If I had to choose between tampa and DC I'd take Tampa because I dislike cold weather even more. When your car starts sliding on those icy roads there's little contest.
Dec 4th, 2003, 08:20 PM
OliveOyl

The heat does get old, yes. I run and it is gawd awful in the summer. This time of year though, you simply can't beat the weather...it's about as close to perfect as it can get and will stay that way until the end of April, beginning of May.

Prior to this we've lived in New Orleans, Dallas, and Savannah so I've seen a lot of hot and Tampa beats them all...well, maybe neck and neck with New Orleans, or at least the French Quarter and all that concrete! Stand on the beach here then Bourbon St in the Quarter, and there'll be no doubt which is hotter!

Dec 5th, 2003, 03:50 AM

I don't live in Tampa, but go there twice a year (have done so for the past ten years), and everytime I'm there (usually November and April) it is HOT. Sticky, humid, muggy, hot. I can only imagine what it is like in the summer.

Dec 5th, 2003, 04:16 PM

Hi carte005,
I'm of the same mind as mclaught, but I will add a bit more. I've been here for 14 yrs. 90 miles south of TPA on the intercoastal near Manasota Key. Oppressive heat and humidity are day in day out reality June through mid-October. Kind of similar to winter, BUT without shoveling snow, scraping windshields, donning arctic wear. Outdoor activity is limited to the beach, (still hot) your pool or pre-7:30AM. I think breaking this marathon of heat up with vacations to cooler climes helps. (much like the snowbirds survive winters, by getting down here)

The other frustration, for those who are working regular day jobs, is that when the weather is best in FL it gets dark by 5:30 therefore reducing one's ability to enjoy these fabulous weather conditions to the weekend. Lastly, if you have school age children, the long summer vacations get very challenging as the beach excursions wear thin after about three weeks and then your kids are basically trapped in the house keeping cool like the rest of us grownups.

There is a very long list of positives about living in Sarasota County, but your question was about the summer weather, so I stuck with that.
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:25 PM
GoTravel

If you've lived in NW Florida, Atlanta, and DC, you have a good idea of what Tampa's weather will be like at least 4 months out of the year.

If you tire of the heat, look of someplace other than Tampa.

Dec 6th, 2003, 05:23 AM
Cassandra

The exact way you phrased your question gives a key to the best answer: does it get old? Yes.

The problem isn't how hot and humid it gets -- I agree with those who say the summer isn't hotter or more humid than DC's or Atlantas -- the difference is that it starts earlier and goes on longer.

Have lived in DC and NC, have relatives in Atlanta and Sarasota County. In the summer, there are often long stretches further north where the temp. tops 95-100, which tends not to happen around Tampa Bay -- it stays in the 90s and can be cooler (relatively) than DC or Atlanta in July and August. But it stays and stays and stays. I'm done with summer on Labor Day, but Tampa isn't until much later, and it gets up and running again in late April or May (sometimes earlier).

Dec 7th, 2003, 06:16 PM

I was born and raised in NE Ohio, moved to St. Pete/Tampa in 1985, and still can't handle the heat and humidity. We have bought a second home in the NC mountains and will move there as soon as the kids get out of school, we can't take this heat and humidity anymore. After 18 years down here, we just can't get used to it.