Traveling to NYC w/ an infant - tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In two weeks my husband and I will be traveling from San Francisco to NYC with our 10-week-old son. We've been to Manhattan many times but always childless. I would love tips on making our flight easier (on us and the other passengers.) We're flying into JFK and have always relied on taxis before - should we go with a car service now?

I'm also interested in any suggestions for kid friendly places to eat. We're staying at the Omni Berkshire.

Thanks,
deb
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:34 PM

Monkeyglass, this age is a good one for taking the stroller or baby carrier into the restaurant at nap time, setting baby under table, and enjoying a meal in peace & quiet while baby sleeps. You will not need an infant-friendly restauarant, is my guess. This is all about timing. Get the boy pooped out so you can relax.

I flew with my son to the Carribean at six wks. and to New Mexico at 8 wks. This is not an easy task. Wait till you have to change a diaper on an airplane. I gave up and used the floor at the plane door where there was some space. Bring plenty of wipes and blankets if you have to use the floor to change him.

Bring pacifiers so baby will swallow to break the pressure in his ears. If teething use some ice from a drink on his teeth. And don't forget the infant tylenol (is he old enough?).

I was surprised how so many people wanted to help, wanted to hold and rock and play with my son, taking pressure off me. I can only hope the same will happen with you.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 04:03 PM

This is a great age to travel with little ones, they're hardly any more trouble than an additional piece of luggage. The key, as Tandoori explained, is to time the peaceful adult activities for times when baby is sleeping.

Airline tips: bring twice as much clothing and diapers (and formula if you're using it) as you think you'll use, including snacks and changes of tops for Mom.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 09:42 AM

If you type babies in nyc in the text search or other similar phrases you'll see a number of previous posts that may help.

The biggest "controversy" for you will be car seats. NY taxis don't have them and are exempt from needing them. If you'll be travelling with one, no prob whether you choose cab or car service. The only reason to use car service is if they'll be waiting for you and you'll need help with luggage and baby and don't want to risk standing in taxi line. Some of the decision depends on what time/day you arrive.

Only other advice I'd give is speak to your pediatrician for suggestions. Maybe consider taking some meds/prescription just in case?

Make sure you have an easily collapsible carriage for getting around the city.

I agree you don't need kid friendly restos, just pick your times carefully. Avoid 12-2pm in that neighborhood. Busy business area but there are also plenty of delis/take out places nearby. The Burger Heaven on Madison & 54th st is good for a quick bite. Oceana on 54th & Park fabulous seafood $$$. Le Colonial on 57th & Lexington fun/tasty/soemwhat elegant Vietnamese. You should phone ahead for reservations and always say you have an infant so they're not surprised.

Have fun.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 10:05 AM

Unless you plan on bringing a Sherpa guide with you, spare your husband's back. The reality of traveling with children is that the days of getting by with only carry-on bags are gone. Jsut check everything but those things you need for the plane. Between trying to bring the stroller, the essentials for the plane, and the toys once they get older, it becomes quite a load.

In terms of places to eat, plenty of options exist. My suggestion is to go to the areas that have large residential populations. Mid-town east of 3rd Avenue, for example. Many of these places cater to locals and their are plenty of young families in the City. The one sacrifice we've found is that it is usually easier to eat earlier. Restaurants are less crowded and squeezing in the stroller isn't a problem.