Search

Oahu's North Shore

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu's North Shore

I am traveling Oct. 22 to Oahu and because this is in between seasons (summer, calm water and winter, surf season) am wondering what the weather is like in October. I love the beach and snorkeling. Is it recommended that I take an island tour or would it be better to rent a car and possibly stay in a hotel on the north shore somewhere to explore? Any recommendation?
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 09:50 AM

I'm afraid that the North Shore at that time of the year will not be good for snorkeling - the surf will be too high, the water murky. The surf will probably still be low enough for you to sit on the beach, but it depends on the daily conditions.

Instead, go to Hanauma Bay - a little crowded - ok, lots crowded - but the snorkeling is easy and spectacular. Just make sure you go early.

Hanauma is on the far side of the island from the North Shore, though. If you're staying on the North Shore, I would recommend you renting a car.

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 09:52 AM

I would pick up a traveling and discovering Oahu as well as a wizard publications guide to Oahu. Too many options to list. Where are you staying?
If you are going the hotel option I love the turtle bay hotel. I would want a car for the duration of the trip if I was on any part of any island but I have done without on a couple of trips. You are more successful with that option in Waikiki. You will be limited most evenings going out with no car
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 09:54 AM

chepar think Hanama bay will be crowded during the school week in October? I am guessing no but I have not done that trip during off season in a few years. Hanama bay is a good 1.5 hours away from the north shore though wtggrl.

You will be in great weather for hiking. I would find some trails by going online. Just search under hike Oahu
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 09:56 AM

excuse me that book is driving and discovering Ohau and you use to be able to purchase it through the Hawaii tourist bureau, online.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick response!
I am traveling with my very active mother, just the two of us. She hikes, dives and kayaks. First, we plan 5 nights at the Aston Waikiki Beach. Then, I suppose we will rent a car and stay someplace north. We do plan Hanauma bay from waikiki. I will check out Turtle bay. Has anyone ever heard of Laie Inn next to the P. Cultural center? Still open to ideas. I've heard that Haleiwa is a nice, artsy little town.(?) We like that kind of place. Thanks!