First Time To Hawaii

Feb 19th, 2003, 09:31 AM
LVM
Original Poster

First Time To Hawaii

Hello,

My husband & I will celebrate our 15th anniversary in Hawaii. Since we have never been we have decided to stay on Oahu. We want to stay on the north shore - a town closest to Honolulu. Can anyone recommend resorts? We are looking for accomendations that include 1 bedroom, pool, beach access, resturants & spa (although spa not absolutely necessary)- mid to high price, we want to compare prices. Thanks.
Feb 19th, 2003, 09:51 AM

Other than Turtle Bay, I can't think of any 'resort' type properties on the north shore. Most people who stay on the north shore tend to rent cottages or houses. Also I'm not sure what you consider 'close' and how often you plan to drive to the Honolulu area, but it's a minimum 45 minute drive from almost anywhere on the north shore.
Feb 19th, 2003, 10:47 AM

As Patti said, there aren't many resorts on the North Shore. You might want to reconsider since, while the North Shore is beautiful, the water isn't as calm as it is on other parts of the island. I suggest you go on the net - or actually, what works better for me - is to buy the Fodor's book for Oahu or Hawaii and look at all the options you have. There are so many nice places to stay - and you really need to look at all of them....
Feb 19th, 2003, 12:35 PM

Get the Oahu Revealed book
Feb 19th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Oahu Revealed has not been published yet, has it? The website says it's still in the works.
Feb 19th, 2003, 02:30 PM

Hi LVM,

The north shore is about as far from Honolulu as you can get. You may want to consider a B&B on the Windward coast as an alternative. Closer to Honolulu and equally pretty, with even better beaches. Look for B&Bs in Kaneohe or Kailua. Outside of Waikiki there really aren't resorts on Oahu, so if a spa and restaurants are important you may want to consider staying in Waikiki. Of course, the north shore and Windward coast both offer lots of restaurants, just not attached to any resorts.
Feb 19th, 2003, 04:28 PM

Suzie,
The last time I contacted the publisher, they replied that they still didn't have a publication date yet. I can't wait until the Oahu edition's available.

LVM,
scigirl's suggestion of the windward shore is a good one. Actually I prefer this area to the north shore. Gorgeous beaches and much closer proximity to the Honolulu/Waikiki than the north shore. If you're determined to stay at a resort but outside of Waikiki, take a look at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental or JW Ihilani - both are full service resorts on the beach with spas and not too far of a drive from Honolulu/Waikiki.
Feb 20th, 2003, 10:18 AM
LVM
Original Poster

Thanks to all recommendations & suggestions! We are going to research the Windward Coast.

LVM
Feb 20th, 2003, 12:43 PM

My experience is waikki is the best area to stay you will be heading there often. So why not stay there and experience the many things to do. And by your post 15th aniversery why not hop over to maui for a few days and experience the best island for activities. nick

Search this Thread