Search

First Timers Going to Oahu Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Timers Going to Oahu Need Advice

Hi,
We are going to Oahu for a week in October. We've never been to Hawaii before so would greatly appreciate any advice. My girlfriend wants to just lie on a nice beach while I'm a golfer. We hope to find a condo or a cottage on the beach that is around $100 to $125 a night and be in or near a small town. We'll rent a car to tour the island. Any suggestions on which part of the island to stay?

Thanks so much in advance,

Jalain
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Are you locked into Oahu? It is my favorite island but for small towns, golf and condos or cottages I would suggest Maui or Kauai.

The north shore of Oahu is the only area with small towns. The Turtle Bay resort has a golf course, but I am not sure what the condos in that area rent for.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 06:43 PM

You ought to re-post your topic & tag it "Hawaii". It will get buried fast on the U.S forum unless you tag it with a state.

Kailua/Lanikai area is nice.

North Shore is nice.

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Did I miss something? Or did the topic magically get tagged
"Hawaii"?
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 06:35 AM

You may find it hard finding a place ON the beach on any of the islands for $125 a night. There are some condos in Punalu'u and Haleiwa that start at near your range. Beachfront cottages around the north shore start at around $225 a night. Check vrbo.com
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

It doesn't have to be Oahu. We just thought of that island because it seems to be the most interesting one for first time tourists. It seems that the beaches on the north shore of Oahu are the most popular. Is there less wind on the north shore? As far as towns go, we just wanted to be near somewhere where we could pick up groceries. We plan to rent a car so I suppose that shouldn't be a problem?
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 07:44 AM

The surf on the north shore of Oahu (and Kauai for that matter) may start picking up by October. Good for surfers, bad for snorkelers/swimmers.

Take a look at the town of Hanalei in the north shore of Kauai. It might be what you are looking for.

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 01:05 PM

I (modestly) declare myself an expert when it comes to budget travel in Hawaii. I like to go 3 or 4 times a year. Except for an occasional splurge, I need to stay around $100-$150 per night for lodging to indulge my tropical addiction.
I want to reassure you that the amount of $$ you spend has little to do with the pleasure and success of your vacation. Some of my best trips were in little cottages or inexpensive condos. If you spend enough time looking at vrbo.com you can find beachfront (or at least oceanfront) in your price range. I usually find the best deals on Maui, which is my favorite island for beaches and a wide variety of scenery and experiences. Next week I'm trying out a 1B/2B N.Kihei condo that is $85 a night; it's in a small (46 units) beachfront complex along Sugar Beach. I've also stayed in places I really enjoyed on Oahu that were inexpensive...one in Kailua and one in Punaluu. If you prefer a cottage to a condo, the suggestion of Hanalei on Kauai is a good one. Maybe not beachfront for that price, but it's so beautiful that it matters less there. October is a great month to visit Hawaii. Usually the weather is mild and places are not crowded. You should be able to find some nice off-season discounts, too. Have you researched golf courses and greens fees on the different islands? That might help you make a decision. You could end up paying a lot more for a round of golf than you do for a night's lodging!
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 09:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree that golf may well prove more expensive than a place to stay! If that's a priority, I'd look into that first, as it will help you pick which island best suits.

I love Oahu, but I always stay in Waikiki, so can't really help with your lodging questions.