Search

Snorkeling on Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling on Oahu

Where's a good place to snorkel on Oahu. Don't really want to go to Hanauma Bay because of the crowds. Looking for a place with a nice quiet beach where DW can sun & I can snorkel. I'm not an experienced snorkeler.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 08:07 PM

Aloha Budman,

Are you talking May? Defininely Sharks Cove, north shore... right next to the fire dept.

Ohhhhhh, it should be perfect... I'm just missing your Kauai GTG by 30 days... I have a little whine going about missing all the fun with the others... you guys have a wonderful time.

Cheers!!!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

We'll be there first week in June. Sharks Cove? Full of sharks?

Thanks for the tip. Any other places?

makai1, Will you be around for the NJ/NY GTG on 21 May?
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 01:53 PM

No Budmn,

I'm a windy city gal... won't be out east for that...

...no sharks at shark's cove. I grabbed a good book before our last trip, The O'ahu Snorkelers and Shore Divers Guide by Francisco B. de Carvalho... great info. The author is an avid snorkler/diver an was stationed in Hawaii with the U.S. Army. The book includes directions, maps, reef layouts, cautions, etc. This book has some very valuable info... I'll certainly bring it on the next trip.

We didn't get in the water too much last trip, as we stayed mainly on the north shore March/April and the swells were enormous, but I've heard from locals that the best snorkeling on the island is shark's cove. I've also read about great snorkeling at Waimea Bay near the jumping rock and also the north side of the bay in summer months.

Have a great time... alohhaaa!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Hi B'man
While we were renting a house near
Haleiwa, North Shore, Oahu all the locals sent us to Shark's Cove.
It's a good beach entry, calm place to snorkel not far from shore.
Waimea Bay was pretty good too, with visibility to about 20'.
A terrific beach for sunning and boogie boarding not far from these two spots is
Laniakea.
R5
Both are good for newbies!
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 06:29 AM

Hey man, as a former fellow garden stater, I didn't find Hanauma to be that crowded compared to the Jersey Shore, so don't recommend avoiding it. Also, have you ever swum in a volcanic crater before

More options: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Oahu/index.htm, also found Oahu Revealed to be most helpful in locating other snorkel spots.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks John. I just ordered Oahu Revealed the other day.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:36 PM

I would recommend both - for different reasons.

Hanauma Bay (while crowded) offers a really unparalleled opportunity to see LOTS of fish and sea life in a relatively contained area.

The various dive/snorkel sites on the North Shore have very interesting underwater topography - but not as abundant sea life. Not to say you won't see anything - but not to the quantity you'll see at Hanauma. So it's not really an "aquarium" experience.

As for the North Shore - Shark's Cove probably has the most to offer for the snorkeller. Easy entry/exit, calm waters in the summer. Watch out for the kids jumping off the rocky points into the water, though. Best parking of all the nearby areas with restroom nearby.

Other dive/snorkel sites nearby are Firehouse (right next to Shark's Cove behind the fire station) and Three Tables a little further down. All are very easily walked to.

Shark's Cove does not have the best area to lay out and sun - minimal sand area, with a lot of people walking around you to get to the water. Three Tables has the best beach area.

As long as the surf is flat to 2 feet, you shouldn't have any problem.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Don't miss Hanauma Bay, if you can get there before 7am and bring your own snorkel gear or rent it the day before (they don't rent till 8am), you can beat most of the crowd by at least an hour or so It's really an experience to try at least once. If you don't mind a "long" drive, depending on where you're staying...Ko Olina Lagoon had good snorkeling and a great beach for relaxing, but there weren't nearly as many fish as there are at Hanauma Bay.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Get there before 7am?? Are you kidding?? I'll be on vacation and probably on my 3rd dream at 7am.

I'll have to map out the spots as we will be driving around the island.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Actually man, since you will be coming from the east coast mainland, the zone changes will make sleeping to 7AM feel like you slept to 12 noon. In other words, your biological should be set to waking up early in Hawaii.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

LOL, I'll be spending my first week on Kauai, so by the time I get to Oahu, my biological should be on Hawaii time. I'm sure (pretty sure) I'll be at 7am when we get to Oahu.
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:19 AM

Sweet looks like I will be there at the same time as you. I will be on my honeymoon. We are staying at the Outrigger Waikiki. Is there a car rental close to that hotel? I dont care what my biological clock is doing, I'm going to be up at 5am and driving from Waikiki to the North Shore area for snorkeling. The earlier you get there the better! Plus, there's just something magical about Hawaii in the early morning. I can't wait to go back!