NY to Montreal

May 2nd, 2002, 08:17 AM
Ron

NY to Montreal

Should we fly or spend the time driving thru New England.Has anyone heard of the Loews Vouge hotel in Montreal.If so would you suggest it or pick another?

May 2nd, 2002, 08:48 AM
kate

Hi Ron,
Every fall my husband and I drive from NYC to Montreal.I love it there! It is a lovely city, the drive through NY state is great and the Adirondacks are something that really should be seen and enjoyed. If you were cramped for time,I would suggest flying, but we make it from here to there in 6 hours sometimes less,depending on traffic around Saratoga.Once we get past that toll booth, we hit the speed limit of 65 on the highway and of course we go around 75-80
The Vogue is a popular hotel, right in the heart of things.They have a lot of luxurious amenities, down comforters etc.I personally,would rather be a tiny bit not in the middle of everything, so we stay at either the Omni which is on Sherbrook,with a room facing Mt Royal.That is a great view during the day.The hotel is your usual big expensive luxury hotel.My new favorite is the Hotel Le Germain right around the corner from the Omni.It is a boutique hotel,the rooms are like NY loft type room,s lots of dark wood and white.They also have down comforters,lounges with soft throws, cd players, everything you could want.It is pretty new so everything is clean and in great shape.There is a fireplace in the lobby with lounges.The staff is young ,very professional and very nice.
You can find it on the web,www.legermainhotel...I think.I can find it and post back with it.
Good luck and enjoy.
On the drive through the Adirondacks there are a lot of good places to stop and have a bite and stretch your legs and enjoy the scenery.

May 2nd, 2002, 08:50 AM
kate

http://www.hotelgermain.com/ang/corpo/framecorpo.html

This is the Le Germain Hotel site.

May 2nd, 2002, 11:10 AM
cindy

Have done this drive many times (and takes more like 8 hours + stop halfway in Saratoga Springs for lunch)
Depends on how much time you have (can you spare 2 days for driving there and back?) money you want to spend (car much cheaper, obviously), places you might want to see along the way, time of the year (driving may be difficult and or crowded at times)

Also, the most direct route is all in NY State, not through New England (which is Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine). If you want to go through N.E., add at least another 2 hours to the trip. If you're planning on staying overnight, that way is more do-able
As far as hotel, look for info on the Canada forum--hotels in montreal is one of the most common questions (short version--Vogue is considered one of the most "in" hotels, and hard to get good rates right now)

May 2nd, 2002, 11:50 AM
kate

cindy-we obviously have different cars and drivers-lol!
I just checked with my husband and he says it has been 6 hours the past few years.We stop in Schroon Lake for lunch, usually a quick picnic.There is never traffic once we pass the Lake George exit.We go in August and in October,a few more people in August,also take into consideration that McGill college has parents and students coming in Aug/Sept and that can account for a lot of people walking around.
The shortest time we have spent has been a 3-4 day weekend,leaving NYC at 8-9 am,we are there by 3.Lat time we went was this past OCt.We stopped overnight at the Sagamore on Lake George, wonderful and then the trip home was just 3 hours.

May 2nd, 2002, 01:59 PM
cindy

yes, Kate, I'll admit--we're the only ones driving at the speed limit

I've done this trip mostly in July, maybe a little later in the day than you do, and always seem to hit traffic somewhere. Last year, it was a huge crowd for the Dave Matthews Band concert in Saratoga that messed us up, sometimes the border crossing has added almost an hour-- I think that if you're driving, you just have to allow for these kinds of delays. On the other hand, a one hour trip by plane could also become 6 hours or more by the time you add in time to the airport, security and waiting at the airport, weather delays (lots of fog lately, it seems), clearing customs in the airport, and then driving into the city!

Ron, let us know what type of trip you're planning and we can make more recommendations.

May 2nd, 2002, 02:11 PM
Sara

How about the train? I did this while in high school and enjoyed it. You get to see the scenery without the traffic or driving.

May 2nd, 2002, 03:18 PM
kate

The train might be interesting, if you don't want to leave Montreal.I would like to know more about thatt myself..although since we go so often,we usually spend days out of the city,last fall we went to Mt Tremblant, which was a nice drive.Also , Quebec City is nice for a day trip.
cindy,if we pass you it will be a small black car and the woman in the passenger seat will be screaming, slow down!!!! all the way to Canada! LOL~

May 2nd, 2002, 03:27 PM
travis

Thanks Kate for the great Montreal info.Tell me more about Le Germain hotel it sounds good.We also were planning to stay at the Loews Vouge but would prefer a cool boutique hotel.Some on the Canada board (hardly used) mentioned another small new boutique hotel-The St. Paul.Any feedback.Were not driving so location is important.

Thanks!

May 2nd, 2002, 03:40 PM
kate

http://www.hotelgermain.com/ang/corpo/framecorpo.html

This is their website, you can see what the rooms look like and some of the hotel.
Last year I was looking through Ottowa hotels and read a press release for this hotel in Montreal.The lady that owns it owns some others one being in Quebec.We decided to try it and we were so happy there.The lobby has big down sofas and chairs,it was perfect for a chilly damp day to have espresso and relax by the fire until time to go upstairs and get ready for dinner.The concierge there is fabulous,does everything for you with great cheer and efficiency.The rooms are very comfortable and ours was really big!
There is a hip-ness to the place and the people that worked there that we liked, not some stuffy old peoples hotel
There are also some good restos in the area if you are interested I will give you my small list.
The hotel is about a block away from the Omni and on a side street,which did not matter to us at all, there are not a lot of hotels with views in Montreal.

May 2nd, 2002, 05:23 PM
Donna

If you mean NYC to Montreal, just over six hours has been our average, with no stops. If you live in New York, by the time you get to the airport way ahead of time, hang around, fly, then get to the hotel, driving would not take much longer. The advantage of driving is enjoying the scenery and not having to worry about dragging luggage about. (Or, what you can and cannot bring along.) Lowe's Hotel Vogue is considered by many resources to be the finest hotel in Montreal. We love the location (although we always stay across the street). All rooms have jacuzzis. Be advised, though, that it's a very modern and sleek sort of place, so you may not be thrilled with it if warm and comfy is more your style.

May 2nd, 2002, 09:48 PM
t

topping

May 6th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Karen W

I was planning to spend my 2 nights at Hotel Vouge but after reading the previous comments I'm thinking that Hotel Le Germain may be a nicer hotel.The website looks good.But I'm not sure about the location since I don't know my way around Montreal.Hotel Vouge looks like a great location for walking to restaurants,bars and shops.How about Hotel Le Germain's location?Your help is welcome.Thanks!