Compare Sofitel to Loews Vogue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking into Montreal for a get-a-way for our 25th anniversary. I've narrowed down to Loews Vogue or Sofitel. Seems from all the reviews, that I wouldn't go wrong with either. However, that's the problem .... can't decide between the two. Can get similar rates, so I'm looking for thoughts on comparing the two ... atmosphere, location, rooms, service ... the usual. Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:15 AM

I can only say that I like the location of the Sofitel better. The rooms and building are more interesting and a friend of mine has been to both hotels and preferred the Sofitel.
When are you going? Here is my favorite Montreal website for planning. Which ever hotel you choose, I am sure you will enjoy your anniversary getaway!
http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/B2C...ookie%5Ftest=1
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

We plan on going the last weekend in May (Memorial Day holiday in US) -- 3 nights. I'm not sure if we are going to drive or fly (from Rochester, NY - pretty long drive). Is there any advantage to having a car once we get to Montreal? It didn't seem like there would be, that's why we're considering flying.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:52 PM

We drove from NYC to Montreal every time. We liked the drive past Lake George, through the Adirondacks.
I did not grow up in NY so I am still thrilled at the beauty of the state.
Once in Montreal it is true that you really do not need a car. We never took ours out of the garage, but for the time we drove to Mt Tremblant for the day.
But the ride up and back was part of the overall trip. We stayed at the Sagamore on the way back.
Once we stopped over in Saratoga..August, a bad time to do that.
Since you are going Memorial Day, airfares and crowds might be an issue, have you checked yet?
It is a nice quick flight.
If you want me to make up your mind for you I will say Sofitel.
Newer, great location and I really like the building.
But, you probably cannot go wrong with either choice...we stay at the Le Germain.
I hope you can write back and tell us how it was ~
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 02:44 AM

I agree with Scarlett, the sofitel is newer and will be more quiet, excellent location.

You'll have to fly through Toronto from Rochester so time wise , you don't save much over driving once you add waiting time; allow enough time for your connection if you fly, you'll be at the very farthest end of the terminal.....
Looking at the flight schedule might help you make up your mind, choices are few.

This will be a wonderful time of year to visit Montreal.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:29 PM

The drive is easy and the flying is a pain.