ny memorial weekend

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:28 PM
ed

ny memorial weekend

will be in ny with my wife and 2 kids 18 and 21 memorial weekend. looking at sofitel hotel 44th st.or st regis on 55th. any opinions on the differnt areas. also anything going on memorial day. like a parade or something in central park.thanks

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:35 PM
pam

I can't tell you much about these hotels, but I can tell you about the neighborhoods. Both neighborhoods are pretty safe and convenient to transportation. on 44th street, you'll be closer to the action (and noise) of times square, theater district (including discount ticket booth at tkts), etc. Your teenagers might like that. 55th street will be a little quieter, nearer the more upscale shopping, etc. I'm sure there's a parade somewhere on Memorial day! Lots of New Yorkers go out of town on long holiday weekends, so you may have an easier time getting tables at good restaurants, etc. Let me know if you want any more advice. I've been living in NYC for over 10 years now.

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Postal

It will be the annual Navy Fleet Week with about 12 ships in port. There will be all kinds of activities at the Intrepid on Twelfth Avenue.

Old May 10th, 2002, 07:50 AM
anna

What about the art exhibition near Washington Square over Memorial Day? Is it worth it?

Old May 10th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Jim

What exhibition near Washington Square on Memorial Day?

Old May 10th, 2002, 09:55 AM
anna

The Washington Square outdoor art exhibit, cf. www.nycgv.com/wsoae.asp

That's all I know.

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:16 AM
rae in uk

Ed

Just got back from a weekend in NY - stayed at the Hotel Sofitel on 44th. Its a great hotel (clean, up-market and great service - get a suite if you can)

Its very close to Times Square (lots to do for the "kids"!) and 5th Ave shopping etc. Subway and Grand Central station are also a short walk away. I believe its considered the 'theatre district' so an evening out - to see a play or go to the cinema - is very easy.

We found the area to be safe at night too.

Hope you have a great trip (we did)

Rae