NYC for a weekend with teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my daughter for her 16th birthday to NYC, along with 3 other teeanagers. We are going on the hip hop tour on Saturday. Can anyone suggest any other economical activities which teens may enjoy for a couple of days. I know NYC will be an experience for them selves, however need to know if teens would enjoy some places over others these are you typical teens...no museums please.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 05:17 AM

When is this happening? There are lots of free things to do outside including walking the Brooklyn bridge, but not if it's frigid outside.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Teens love the play Rent. You can almost always get disccount tickets. Check Broadwaybox.com and PLaybill.com.

Just walking around the VIllage/Soho/Chinatown area and checking out all the street vendors and stores. Union Square Park has been come the high school hang out spot/meeting place. Washington Square park almost always has some form of street entertainment, especially during the day on weekends. Street fairs can be fun as well.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 07:17 AM

There are many young designer owned clothes stores between East 9th and EAst 11th Streets between Avenue A and 2nd Ave
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. We wil/3l traveling 9/1-9
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Staten Island ferry is free - and gives good views of the harbor, a little distant of the Statue of LIberty - and a great view of Manhattan coming back.

Central Park is free (check out the web site of the Central Park Conservancy).

And a lot of museums have student rates - or pay what you want. And some are free certain times/evenings.

Check out the web sites of New York Magazine and Time OUt New York for special events. New York Mag you can search for free activities as well as by date and category.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 12:13 PM

We took our daughter to NYC when she was almost 16 during spring break a few years ago. She loved shopping in the Village, MOMA, Guggenheim, Empire State Building, seeing two shows on Broadway (Lion King and Spamelot) and especially liked food tour in the Village. It was very interesting and well worth the effort and money. Check out foodsofny.com.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 02:51 PM

my 17 year old daughter and her friend LOVED Legally Blonde. Besides shopping, they like sitting at a cafe people watching, walking around Central Park, SoHo, the Village.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM

If you go to a Broadway show they may enjoy having dinner before at Ellen Stardust Diner. Food is "okay" but my kids loved the singing waiters and waitresses. The night we went people were getting up from their seats and singing and dancing in the aisles. Fun!

Another place my daughter (13) enjoyed was Max Brenners Chocolate restaurant. I recommend only going here for dessert.

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM

My nieces just loved Legally Blonde, and they stood in line outside and got every autograph, then took lots of photos of the lights at night. They also loved the M&M and Hershey stores in Times Sq. - which surprised me, but whateve... For a quiet respite we loved pizza at John's on I believe 44th and 8th - something like that. Great pizza and kind of quiet and it gave them a chance to catch their breath.

The loved walking at night. Loved Chinatown purse buying. And the stalls in SOHO were a huge hit.

We also did Top of the Rock, Circle Line, etc. - but the Ferry is just as good.

They will enjoy everything!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:59 PM

My teens loved the NYC Party Shuttle Tour. They also loved Rent. I'm taking my oldest daughter next month and found half price tickets to Phantom of the Opera at broadwaybox.com
Enter the code PH2BBXE
for the discount. They both enjoyed shopping for "designer" sunglasses at Canal St. Amazing, after 5 months, nothing has fallen apart!