Northwest or Continental--Newark/Detroit

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Carol

Northwest or Continental--Newark/Detroit

I'll be flying RT Newark/Detroit in early July. Both airlines have the same prices and similar schedules. Does anyone have strong recommendations pro or con either Continental or Northwest for a weekday domestic flight (reliability, likelihood of cancelled flights, etc.)?
I'm planning to make my reservation today, but though I'd check here just in case someone sees this Q, has an opinion and replies fast. Thanks.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:51 AM
amy

I have flown RT from Detroit to Newark about 20 times in the past two years, and I always fly Northwest...I have yet to run into any problems. I have never been delayed, cancelled, or re-routed...so far I have been lucky.
Good luck!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Dave

We flew DTW-EWR last week on NWA. Plane was 2 hr late because of "storms in NYC area". I believe that some flights are code-shared between NWA and CO.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:15 AM
nyer

Dave
Was that last Thursday or Friday??
We had some rockin and rollin weather here!!!
Hurricane force winds, tornadoes and lighting that was spectacular! We got an average of 3 inches of rain and my friends in Orange county received 6" of rain and hail.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Beth

I have had bad experiences with Northwest Flight attendents also have heard similar complaints on this forum and from friends. I would always select Continental over Northwest. Newark being the hub airport and probably the more heavily trafficed of you flight schedule I would go with them.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:29 AM
xx

Continental and Northwest codeshare on a lot of flights. If you see a flight with a particularly "high" flight # (5000 or above), chances are another airline actually operates the flight. So you can buy a Continental ticket just to avoid Northwest, only to end up on a NW aircraft!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Carol

Thanks. I decided to go with NW mainly because, if the flight I chose is cancelled, the next flight that I might get would be sooner on NW, and in general there seem to be more NW flights to Detroit. I have flyer miles on Continental, but I understand that NW is a partner airline. Also the friend whom I'm visiting is more familiar with NW, because she usually has to take NW when she flies from Detroit. This wasn't a huge decision really. Thanks for all the opinions.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Dave

nyer - It was thursday.

Carol - Indeed, CO Is a partner with NWA. We bought an NWA ticket through CO with CO miles which were from Amex Rewards. Complicated, but it worked.