Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Transportation from JAX (Jacksonville Airport) to Amelia Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Kelli

Okay, does anyone know a way to get from JAX to Amelia without spending $50 on a cab? Is there some sort of shuttle or public transportation we could use? We're staying at a rental home, so a specific resort or hotel shuttle wouldn't work. Also, any tips on Amelia are welcomed, as this will be our first visit!

Thanks for the suggestions in advance!!!

Kelli

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:03 PM
sister

I don't think there is public transportation or a bus. I was there last year and did not notice anything. AMelia Island is laid back..it really doesn't cater to a crowd (like other Florida Cities). Would you be better off renting a cheap car? Won't you be doing any sight seeing? Downtown is pretty neat. There is also an old Fort there you can tour. I would also go downtown Jacksonville. There is an outdoor pavilion and they have concerts etc in the summer. Check it out, dude!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Kelli

My husband and I are meeting family at Amelia who will have a car, which is why we don't want to rent one for the week. We're from DC and are a little spoiled when it comes to public transportation, so I was kind of hoping there was an inexpensive way of getting from the airport to the island. I was assuming there wasn't such a thing since it is so remote, but that's exactly the kind of vacation we're looking for- quiet and relaxing. Thanks for your suggestions though. I appreciate it!!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:00 AM
sister

I know it isn't the answer you wanted, is it. The drive is about 20 - 30 minutes to Amelia Island. Not too far where your relatives can pick you up. You WILL enjoy it there as it is not like other Florida beach towns.The shells are unbelievable on the beach. That is a big reason we went to Amelia Island--to shell. Have fun!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Kelli

Thanks for the quick response! Our flight is getting in very early in the morning and the rest of the gang isn't going to be rolling through town until later in the day. Looks like we'll have to suck it up and take a cab! Thanks! I really can't wait to go!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:28 AM
J T Kirk

Are you staying in a rental property, or a hotel/resort? I'd suspect the hotels/resorts have a shuttle service to/from the airport. You are certainly not the first person to have been in this dilemma.
Have fun at Amelia. Check out Fort Clinch.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Kelli

Captain Kirk-

We're staying at a rental property....