Search

Northern Lights - Fairbanks, AK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Lights - Fairbanks, AK

Hello,
Traveling to AK by mid of March for 10 days. Main motive is to view northern lights. Will be landing in Fairbanks. Chena hot springs is totally booked. Can you please suggest other accommodations a bit far from the city lights to have a good view of northern lights?
Cheers,
Geetha
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:03 PM

Bettles Alaska is supposedly the single best place to view it. I haven't been myself. Chena is usually considered #2, but it is much easier to get to(I think).
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:41 PM

I am far from an expert on this, but have been to Bettles. There isn't much there at all. It will cost nearly $350 pp r/t to fly there from Fairbanks.

If I were you, I would ask Chena Hot Springs for other recommendations.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 03:18 AM

I was strictly speaking seeing the Northern Lights. From what I've read, I can't imagine staying a couple of days in Bettles, much less 10.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:18 AM

spiro--I suggest going and experiencing it for yourself instead of just reading about it. The area is amazing!!!!! The residents of Bettles are probably the nicest you will meet anywhere. Granted, the town itself isn't a draw, but get just a few miles from there and it is pure heaven. BTW, we saw an aurora on our fist night after hiking in to our relatives cabin way up in the bush.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 08:01 AM

I apologize for not expanding for the OP. I was trying to say that Bettles is expensive to get to if you only want to go to see the northern lights. If you want to explore the area further though, it is priceless!!! I am sure the locals can give you much better information that I can. You might also check on Trip Advisor as the Alaska forum is full of great posters that know the areas really well.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 01:20 PM

mms,
I meant in the winter. I actually plan on going twice there. I do want to see it in the winter(not sure how long to actually stay there though). I think there would be much more to do in the summer, but of course much less chance of seeing an aurora.

Why in one post do you say "there isn't much there at all" and then in the next you say "the area is amazing"

I read extensively before going somewhere this remote. Noone had mentioned Bettles and since the OP specifically asked about seeing Northern Lights is the reason I mentioned Bettles. If seeing the NL was my priority that would certainly be a consideration, I would think.
The boards are very slow here for a bout the past year. I always like to put "I haven't been there", just to be honest.

I have always wanted to see Gates of the ARC, Kobuk and more there. Have been to Alaska only once for a few days(Kenai Fjords and very edge of Lake Clark-at Wolverine Creek fishing/bear viewing area). Haven't even made it to Denali. Wrangel looks great as well. Finding the time to do it is my main problem. I rarely have that much time off, I ususally just take 3 or 4 long weekend trips each year.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 01:31 PM

Spiro--When I said there isn't much there was specifically about the town. The surrounding area though is much different. It is an outdoors paradise! Hopefully that clears it up for you. We have a relative who lives north of Bettles, just on the edge of the Gates of the Arctic. He homesteaded there over 40 years ago.
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Anyone has viewed northern lights in Aug-Sep?
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 01:34 PM

Yes. DS saw them several times in August and then when we were there in September we saw them twice.
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for you replies. It was helpful to choose a place!! I have another question... Is the World Ice Art Championship always held in the last week of February?