Alaska 16 day itinerary

Old May 30th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska 16 day itinerary

We are thinking of doing a 16 day alaskan vacation in august. We will fly into and out of anchorage. We definitely want to do denali national park, and kenai fjords national park, exit glacier, harding ice field and kenai boat ride which are in Seward. We were thinking of going to Denali first for 4 nights and then heading south for the rest of the vacation and ending in Seward. We thought 4 nights in Seward. I have looked at so many sights and I need help with planning where to go and how many days for each location in between Denali and Seward. We like to hike and enjoy wildlife and scenery. Is Homer or Girdwood good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.We are a family of 4 with a 21 yr old and 16 yr old. thanks
Old May 31st, 2015, 01:37 AM

We did a similar trip and you may read my extensive trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-land-tour.cfm

Just let me add a few thoughts:

- Four nights in Denali sound reasonable because it increases the chance to see the mountain which is often in clouds. You can take the shuttle but into the park and hike freely through the tundra (no need to stay on trails). But be bear-aware. The grizzlies are everywhere. When staying near Denali think about river-rafting. With regard to our ladies, we missed it but I heard good things about it and your younger ones will love it.

- I would not go again to Chena Hot Springs.

- But just driving Richardson and Glenn Highways from Fairbanks via Delta Junction and Glennallen to Anchorage was an incredibly scenic experience. This drive gives you a true impression of Alaska's scenic grandeur. The direct highway between Anchorage and Alaska is not scenic at all. At least on the way back do the detour.

- One of the highlights of our trip was Matanuska Glacier. It is one of the few glaciers where you can walk on the ice.

- Seward is a decent town, but it has many things to offer, especially the Kenai Fjord boat trips.
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 06:18 AM

"Is Homer or Girdwood good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.We are a family of 4 with a 21 yr old and 16 yr old. thanks"

- Homer, Girdwood, and most every other place in AK are fantastic. Here's a link to a bunch of info. about the Girdwood/Portage/Whittier area: http://goo.gl/dPvuEJ

- I too love a guided trek on the Matanuska Glacier (see: www.micaguides.com)
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 07:00 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
With 16 days I'd argue you have enough time to include a bit more than just southcentral Alaska and Denali in your planning. With two days you could fly north of the arctic circle and spend a day in Kotzebue, an Inupiat Eskimo village on the Arctic Ocean, and get a sense of bush Alaska that most visitors don't experience. Or fly to Nome, home of a huge gold rush 120 years ago and still very much a frontier gold-mining town. Stick a toe in the Bering Sea or head up into the tundra - muskoxen, reindeer, bears...

Or head the other way and fly from Anchorage to Juneau, visit Alaska's picturesque and historic capital, then hop on a high speed ferry through gorgeous "Inside Passage" scenery to Sitka, capital of Russian America and an equally beautiful and historic place. Then fly nonstop from Sitka to Seattle and onward.

Those extra days would broaden your view of the scale and diversity of Alaska, and would be easy to fit into your timetable.
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 07:22 AM

>

Um, thinking trav'59 means the direct shot from Fairbanks to Anchorage.

With 16 days, I'd do more than just Denali and the Kenai too, especially with grown (or grownish) kids. We had about 1/2 that time and stayed on the Kenai peninsula with two nights in Anchorage while with our hobbits. If we had more time, we'd have gone to more places. Your monsters are far more portable than our little people.

Recommend here for Homer: http://www.homerbb.com/