Northeastern weather

Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Northeastern weather

When it is this cold in Boston...what do folks do? Tell me about your day.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:44 AM
yk

Cold? It's cold today, but not as bad as single-digit temp back in Jan, and at least the sun is out.

Folks do the same thing as they usually do, you just need to dress appropriately for it.

If you're not used to the cold, make sure you do indoor sightseeing (ie museums, shopping mall) and stops for hot coffee or hot chocolate.

This is what I wear when it's in the 20sF range:
long-sleeve cotton T-shirt
cashmere sweater
jeans
knee-high cashmere socks
cashmere scarf
cashmere hat (that covers my ears)
ear muffs
down-jacket with hood
wool mittens
thick-soled boots
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM

Honestly its been so cold this winter that I didn't particularly notice that today was any different. Left the house without hat, gloves or scarf. I survived pumping gas and the walk throught the parking lot. No biggie but I don't recommend it.

If you are not used to it, dress as yk did. That's the smarter thing to do.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
yk

Another thing to remember, is make sure you're dressed in layers and you can take things OFF when you go indoors. That's a reason why I prefer scarf over turtleneck sweaters. Sometimes indoor places are so warm that I'd start sweating, and it's easier to take off a scarf than taking off a turtleneck sweater.

And if you're visiting Boston soon, make sure you bring your sunglasses. All the snow we got yesterday is causing a huge glare! 8-)
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:34 AM

And if you can't afford cashmere, then fleece or wool is fine, too. Also, you can substitute a knit hat for the earmuffs and hood. And finally, jeans are just thin cotton fabric; I prefer corduroy; and if you're not used to low temperatures, then a layer under the jeans is a good idea, too.

I live in Boston but right now I'm visiting Washington DC and it's only 21 degrees here!
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:35 AM

To answer the original question: We do the same stuff that we'd do if it was 50 degrees out, but we wear more layers.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:38 AM
yk

Yes, any wool is fine, and even fleece (though fleece might not be as warm). I wear cashmere because I'm allergic to regular wool and I'll start itching.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:07 AM

This weather is cold - but not the south pole - just be sure to dress sensibly and you will be fine. And you do everything you normally do - there dozens of people jogging, walking dogs, biking etc in Central Park this am - just dressed more wearmly.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:12 AM

I'm really spoiled. Ever since we built our first house back in the 70s and recently moved to another house where we added on a garage, I have gotten into a car that is at a comfortable temperature. In the old house the garage was in the basement where our ancient but trustworthy wood furnace was located. Our new garage gets heat from the wood furnace. It's not toasty, just comfortable. Our kitchen has a bank of south facing windows where we can enjoying watching the birds at the feeders. I think they tend to eat more when the weather is bad.
My outdoor cold weather gear includes a pair of old Sorel boots with felt liners that used to belong to our son when his feet were a lot smaller. I notice every year that the first cold temperatures feel awfully cold but after awhile I just get used to it. I can be outside in 20 degree below zero weather for several hours. One time our son was in an outdoor event when it was so cold the Gatorade in his pocket would start to become slush. When I get to work I have to remember to bring my parka indoors because I drive wearing a fleece jacket. If it's really cold, I'll put my parka on when I leave work at night. My favorite wool gloves have thinsulate lining. I wear LL Bean hiking hiking boots in messy weather. Fortunately, I can dress casually (and sensibly) for work. Thick soled boots are very important if I'm outside for any length of time. My husband is bothered by the cold unlike when he was younger so he buys the chemical heating packs for his boots and mittens and never forgets his hat.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

I am heading out to Boston and New York this month, so this is helpful.

Today, in Colorado, 79degrees F. No kidding. I have my shorts on, walked the new puppy and old dog, rode my bike, and planned my trip to Boston. It was a quiet day today!
Mar 4th, 2009, 09:24 AM
JBX

Checking the weather in BOS for today. Looks to be sunny, but a brisk 25 degrees .... brrrrr. However forecast for Friday looks to be hitting 40. Let the snow melt begin!

I'm a former MA resident and still have family in New England. It appears March has certainly come in like a lion, and hopefully will exit like a lamb.