One Day in Chicago

Feb 25th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

One Day in Chicago

I'm thinking about going along with hubby on a business trip to West Chicago in March. My plan is to take the Metra into the city from there. Trying to decide what I could do with just one day. We get to Chicago at least once a year for a long weekend (in fact we are going to a Cubs/Cardinals game this July) so have seen the museums, etc. I'm also not a huge shopper although some window shopping is okay. What would you suggest for a single 30-something gal for the day? I've considered spending some time at the Art Institute, but other than that I'm looking for some unique ideas that I may not have thought about. Recommendations for a light lunch would also be appreciated!
Feb 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Have you done the CAF Architectural Boat Cruise? Im not sure if they are offered in March and would be very dependent on the weather.

Enjoy the Cubs / Cards game. Was there last year for one on a Sat afternoon and it was great, except for the Cards beating the Cubs badly. Wrigley is definitely a classic stadium
Feb 25th, 2009, 09:26 AM

I also agree that the Architure boat tour is Fabulous! Check to see if open then. You will get great information on the history of the city and see old and new archititecture. Our guide was an Architecture Student at the University and very entertaining and knowledgeable.
A walk through Grant Park is fun and you can rent bikes there if that is appealing.
You might want to check into a "tour" of the city through you hotel concierge.
Have fun!!
Feb 25th, 2009, 09:28 AM

http://www.architecture.org/tour_sea...Date=3/31/2009

There's a link to tour schedules. I remember one visit in March...it was about 12 degrees and the wind was blowing about 30 mph. COLD is an understatement. How about a matinee? Too many places for lunch, but on a blustery day Bistro 110 serves a great onion soup. It's also fun to eat in Greektown...love the aromas around there! My favorite lunch in Chicago was at Topolobampo...get there when it first opens or make a res on www.opentable.com However, I'd save that lunch for a time with the hubby; it's very special. I read that it was one of the Obama's favorite places.
Feb 25th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

We have been on the CAF river tour -- and I agree it was great! A matinee is an interesting idea as I love the theater! Saw Wicked a few years ago in Chicago, but will check to see what else is there. Any other ideas?
Feb 25th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Currently, Jersey Boys and Mary Poppins are running in The Loop. There's also Steppenwolf, The Goodman and Blue Man Group. Check www.broadwayplays.com for other theatre listings.

In addition to the river tours, the CAF has a number of walking tours that focus on a neighborhood, like the Financial District or South Loop or a large building, like the Board or Trade Building or Macy's on State. The tours last between 45 and 90 minutes.

The Chicago History Museum has an exhibit of Chicago couture fashion and Lincoln Treasures just opened. It's about a 2 miles north of The Loop and accessible by the 22, 36 or 156 buses. Just north of the History Museum is the Notebaert Nature Museum which has a free-flight butterfly gallery.

The Cultural Center and Harold Washington Library have free concerts many afternoons. You can also view the newly restored Tiffany dome at the Cultural Center.

Finally, there's the Frank Lloyd Wright District in Oak Park.
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

The Chicago History Museum looks like something I will enjoy. Thanks for the suggestion. Any others?
Feb 26th, 2009, 11:30 PM

What date in March?
Mar 4th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

It's looking like I will be there on March 26th.
Mar 4th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

I think I have decided to go the the Chicago History Museum in the morning and then to the tour of the Chicago Theater in the afternoon. Does anyone have suggestions for good places for a light lunch near either of those locations?
Mar 4th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Hi dougieshoney,

Lunch near the Chicago History Museum is going to offer pretty dull options: there's a Starbucks and Thai restaurant just south on Clark about a 1/2 block (around 1550 N. Clark; the museum is around 1600 N. Clark). There's a better restaurant on Wells St. (parallel to Clark and 2 1/2 blocks west) with Adobo Grill (Mexican) - but that won't be light/fast.

A better bet for a light lunch is to head back to the Loop and get lunch around the Chicago Theater. There's lots of options on the 7th floor of Macy's (formerly Marshall Field's) on STate Street - like custom salads, soups, Japanese ramen, or Mexican. But if you don't like the big "food court-like" feel of Macy's, I'd recommend a great slice of quiche, pastry and tea at the Argo Tea cafe at 16 W. Randolph, Chinese Baos (filled dumplings) at Bao Wow on Lake and State (1. West Wacker), or a toasted Potbelly sandwich across the street from the Chicago Theater.

Hope you have a great day in Chicago. Be prepared to dress warm!