Search

North Sanibel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 08:14 PM
John

North Sanibel

Has anyone rented on North Sanibel, I have never done Sanibel/Captiva before but I am looking for a quiet get away for me and my two kids (2.5 and .5 yrs). I saw a very nice website with some great rental homes on North Sanibel.

If you have been
1) How was it?
2) How did you get to the island?
3) Since no cars on the island did you leave a rental behind or did you take a taxi from the airport to the ferry?

Please give your thoughts. Thank you. John
[email protected]

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 08:23 PM
xxx

Sanibel and Captiva are beautiful, quiet and relaxing. Cars are allowed on both Sanibel and Captiva.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 02:57 AM
Jeanne

I don't understand. You are looking for a quiet get away for you and your two kids (2.5 and .5 yrs)? Once you have two kids this age it will never be quiet. Try to find a place which cater to kids. I like Sanibel but I would hate to be there with small kids running around. The place where we stay doesn't accept children under 12.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:17 AM
Sharon

Just because people have children does not mean necessarily that they like to go to places that "cater" to children. This man is entitled to have some R and R. Jeanne you are just flat out rude. Yet another example of the typical rude comments you see on the Fodors board.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Cheryl

John, you can drive over the bridge/causeway to Sanibel for $2.00 or $3.00. Try this website: www.sanibel-captiva.org. Have fun. The islands are beautiful and a great place to relax with your children.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:44 AM
sandy

I think you may be thinking of North Captiva, which is just north of Sanibal/Captiva islands. It can only be reached by water taxi or other boat. I have visited and stayed in a rented house for a week. I think there is a hotel or condo on the island but I can't remember the name. It is very quiet and there is not a lot to do which suited us perfectly for that vacation. We took long walks all over the island, fished and shelled. You must bring your own groceries, there is very little to buy on the island and only 1 small (good and fun) restaurant. The rental owners usually provide golf carts for transportation.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:58 AM
wish

We've been to Captiva several times with our three kids, and rented a gulf front home. Visited North Captiva once. Captiva (instead of North Captiva), would be better for the kids. Still very relaxing though. The beach alone will keep them occupied, but short cruises and the wild life preserve on Sanibel are an option. Jerry's on Sanibel (a short drive from Captiva), is a good place to stock up on food. Have fun.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Melissa

Hi John-
Never rented on Sanibel, but both Sanibel and Captiva have great resorts for families, depending on your budget and length of stay.
Sanibel is just beautiful. I go almost every March with my husband (no kids) and even thought that is high season there, it is quite peaceful and relaxing.
You get to the island from the expressway from Ft. Myers. 2 or 3 dollar toll when you arrive. Cars are most certainly present on the island, and traffic along Periwinkle Way can go at a snails pace.
There are many things to do on the Island, and it is most certainly a place for children (unlike what RudeJeanne says). I particularly love Bowmans Beach (swam with the dolphins-for free!, lots of shells, clean beach), the nature preserve, and the shell museum.
Go to Sanibel, you will love it, and we will love you for pissing Jeanne off.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Lori

If you're looking for a quiet vacation, you're on the right track with Sanibel. If you're talking the northern part of Sanibel there's a condo association called Blind Pass that we've rented at. It is definitely a quiet part of the island. A house would be great too, but we loved Blind Pass condos. Ours was a 2 level townhouse with a master bedroom, secend bedroom with twin beds, and 2.5 baths. It was perfect for us. Our unit was well stocked with beach chairs, beach toys, buckets (for shelling), games, puzzles, and videos.

We did have a rental car. Our day went something like: wake up, go shelling, wander back for breakfast, go to the pool, go back for lunch, more ocean, a little more pool. Then we'd clean up and go out for dinner. We often had enough leftovers from dinner that we didn't need to cook for lunch the next day. (Recommended restaurants are Hungry Heron, Matzaluna (more upscale Italian), Cheeburger Cheeburger.)

The kids would love to go back. When you go, make sure you drive through Ding Darling nature preserve, and try to do it either very early or late. The sun can be a killer. When we were there we stopped at the visitor's center and they gave the kids a wildlife BINGO game to play. When they returned the completed game board they were given some little prizes (a wildlife print, a pencil, stickers maybe).

Sure hope it's Sanibel you're talking about because I really rambled!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Patrick

I hope we hear back from you, John. From the tone of your letter, I'm pretty sure you are talking about North Captiva, which is as mentioned above a separate island that you must boat to. And yes it is relaxing and there are some wonderful cottages or homes there for rent. But I've never heard of a "North Sanibel".